Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT:"Top Gear" TV Show - Best Car Show Ever!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 05:44 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Seight
Just to clear all this up, Top Gear is a BBC show and 5th Gear is a Channel 5 show. Basically, several years ago the BBC axed Top Gear so all the presenters left the BBC and joined Channel 5 to create 5th Gear, except for Clarkson.
Three years later BBC brought back Top Gear in it's present form, ie studio audience, chats, interaction etc...nothing like the original Top Gear.
IMHO Top Gear is now very boring other than watching Stig - who's great and yes the original Stig was Perry Mcarthy. Clarkson and Hammond are two boring, sanctimonious presenters. They have some redeeming points but they are still boring and above all totally CRAP drivers - especially Clarkson. 5th Gear on the other hand has Tiff Needell and Jason Plato, two superb racing drivers who battle it out wheel to wheel around Anglesey circuit in all sorts of cars. A great piece recently was when Tiff drove a current Williams F1 car against Vicki Butler-Henderson in a BMW M5. (And you won't see an F1 team let Clakson (if he could fit) anywhere near on e of their cars.) They are also refreshingly, not living up their own ***** like Clakson and Hammond.
Phew! There, now I've said it.......

Cheers,
Alex
Here Here !!!
My thoughts exactly.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:55 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess "to each his own", as always, remains true. I find Top Gear much more entertaining than 5th gear. Perhaps the version of 5th we get over here isn't as good... wouldn't be too surprised if that were the case.
Lately all they have done are "theme shows" covering exciting topics like drunk driving, men vs. women drivers and road rage... yawn. Car reviews are woven in but most of the time is spent on these topics.
I'll bet we are getting some watered down version over here.
Wish I could have caught the original version of Top Gear... sounds good.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:26 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

I have seen all of ONE episode of 5th Gear, so I will certainly give it a chance, but I was quite disappointed in the episode that I did catch. Thus far, its Top Gear for me.

I find the three blokes that do Top Gear to be the kind of guys I would enjoy having a pint or two with. They flat out just make me laugh, which is sorely missing from ANY automotive programming in the US. When they are power sliding a 1/2 Million Dollar car through "Chicago" I don't much worry myself that they are not the best drivers in the world.

And seeing Jeremy chase down the fellow in the Lambo while driving the Mitsubishi EVO was an absolute hoot. Clarkson referring to himself as a "Fat Man in a 4 Door Sedan" was pretty far from arrogant, if you ask me.

And so they don't like Porsche...big deal. A few of my SCCA friends don't like 'em either. If I recall, Clarkson was pretty jazzed when driving the Carrera GT. But again, its pretty much a "To Each His Own". I do find it interesting that most of the criticism of TG comes from the other side of the pond.

We Americans are so starved for good car shows that perhaps we are less discriminating. Then again, we are also the folks that gave the world South Park and The Simpsons. That may explain a few things

Brian
Old 04-11-2006, 01:44 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Brian, I think you nailed it... we have no quality performance car shows here in the U.S.!
Motorweek? Ugh.
There are a couple of others but nothing of the production/cinematic quality that either Top Gear or 5th Gear offer. Not even close.
Most of the stuff I see on Speedvision or OLN are drifting, street racer-type junk that are geared towards the "younger folks". It's either that or muscle cars (which I do like but can only watch so much of it).

You said it, we are starved!

BTW, based on one show I recently saw, the short guy on Top Gear has a Boxster.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:13 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 92964cab
BTW, based on one show I recently saw, the short guy on Top Gear has a Boxster.
Do you read 911 and Porsche World? I picked one up last week, and one of their running report's is now a guy that is affiliated with the show. IIRC, I think he did say that Richard Hammond had a Boxster. I need to re-read that.....don't want to spread false rumors!

Brian
Old 04-11-2006, 05:57 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Yeah, they said it on the show when doing the "cool" vs "uncool" car segment. Of course, they had to classify the car as very uncool since he had one.
That's part of the bit.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:18 AM
paulnott
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

James May (the other guy on the show) has a 911 SC also. I read a report in one of the Sunday newspapers where he did a spot on buying the car from Virgin 911 in the UK.
That article was one of the pointers that sent me off looking for a 911 and ultimately led me (via a bit of a windy path) to the 964.
So I don't think Top Gear is so anti-Porsche. I think you can see all their comments and opinions from many angles....

Cheers,
Paul
Old 04-12-2006, 04:28 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

You guys might be interested in this: Top Gear decided to create some shows in the U.S. using American hosts. This was decided several months ago, but I have no idea of the status. You can be CERTAIN that it won't have the irreverant humor as the BBC version, because the U.S. version will have to be slaves to the advertisers, unlike BBC. Top Gear U.S. will likely be MotorWeek with less annoying hosts, but heck, only time will tell. More info here:
http://www.finalgear.com/news/2005/12/22/top-gear-usa/

If you have a laptop with S-video out, you should download TopGear from www.finalgear.com using Bittorrent, then just hook up your laptop to your tv using the S-video. That's what I do, and the pic quality is great.

There are threads in OT every so often about Top Gear. BTW, the new shows should start again in late May. Holding my breath!
Old 04-12-2006, 05:20 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Eric, thanks for that info, but I have to say that this is the worst news possible for me.

I don't know who they could possibly pick to host this show that would be as funny as these guys. I will reserve judgement until I see it, but this is very disappointing news.

Brian
Old 04-12-2006, 05:30 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Agreed, I fear the American version.

On a related note, just read the "Your Cars" section in 911 and Porsche World mag, the director for Top Gear reports on his Cayman S he just bought. Actually, he spends most of the time defending his purchase. He stated that May has a Boxster S and Hammond has a 997.
Clarkson appears to be the anti-Porsche one. Pretty funny report from him if you get a chance to read it.

Thanks for the info Eric and the alternate way to watch the Top Gear show via laptop.. can't believe I didn't think of that!
Old 04-12-2006, 07:29 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Great link there, Eric..

And I take back my comment that I can not think of any American host that would be suitable.

How about Tommy Kendall? He is as irreverent as Clarkson is (maybe more so), and I think he would be a great host, so long as he gives up his gig doing infomercials for various car companies.

Didn't he loose a bet with Danica Patrick once that resulted in her dragging him around the paddock of the LBGP wearing a dog collar and leash? That's the kind of thinking that would probably work!

But hey...looks like we DO get The Stig!

Brian
Old 08-26-2007, 03:56 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Default Old threads never die!

Good news for TG fans.....they appear to be back on the air in the USA on BBC America. My Tivo picked up a show in the guide, and it looks like its on for a bit. I have it set for a seasons pass.

It appears that the show I just watched was for late '06, at some point after Hamster's wreck. At the end of the show I just watched, they say that the next airing will be an all new show (Monday evening, IIRC). It does not look like these are in anyway dumbed down for US consumption, which suits me just fine.

Any show that describes a car as looking like a "*******", deserves to be on my list of "Must See TV" shows.

Brian
Old 08-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Pingo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For TG and 5G fans: http://www.finalgear.com/shows/topgear/ http://www.finalgear.com/shows/fifthgear/
Old 10-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Pingo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New seson started last sunday. It's available for download (includes 997 GT3 RS) from http://www.finalgear.com/shows/topgear/
Old 10-14-2007, 11:00 AM
madmoog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll also tend to find the best bits of bith Top Gear and 5th Gear usually get onto www.racingflix.com for downloading quite quickly.

Aslo, if it hasn't already been said, isn't 5th Gear a bit behind the times now, as a lot of the fast cars now have 6 or 7 gears....

8th Gear anyone

Quick Reply: OT:"Top Gear" TV Show - Best Car Show Ever!