Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT:"Top Gear" TV Show - Best Car Show Ever!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Kismet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think one of the best episodes was when Clarkson took a diesel Jaguar around the Nurburgring. Sabine Schmitz, who drives the 'Ring taxi, then jumped into it and beat his fastest lap on her first. She later commented that he really easn't a very good driver. The following season she drove a Ford Transit van round in just over 10 minutes, 10 secs slower than the Jaguar. He challenged her to try it again to beat 10 minutes but she had frightened herself enough doing it once.

In the last episode of this season there was a hint that she might be taking over Clarkson's test drive duties when the series comes back in the autumn. Clarkson is having an operation on his spine, to address crushed vertebra from carrying the weight of his ego do you think ? :-)) Actually a lot of the fun is because Clarkson parodies himself and anybody who thinks Boxsters are for hairdressers cannot be all bad.

Top Gear is filmed at an old WW2 airfield called Dunsfold. We were down there for a Wings and Wheels event a few months ago and got the chance to drive round the peri track and down the runway. I let my son drive the Porsche, which I think was pretty brave of me as it was the first time he'd driven since wrecking his own car by hitting the kerb on the central reservation of the M4, taking off, splitting the sump and petrol tank on impact before crushing the side into the barrier.

Regards
Kismet
Old 08-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

What can I say…it is entertainment at its best... I keep a copy of every section of the show that I have found on the net… http://www.sleepy-fish.com used to have a lot of those videos but last time I checked it looked like they had removed them from his site…

Anyway… great show, some purist or car freaks would criticize him on his comments or bias… I just watch it and see it as entertainment( and a funny one at that, imho). Plus there is no other show (well, maybe 5th Gear) where you see cars trashed like in that show… I love it! Wish I was behind the wheel doing all those runs…

True, his is not a fan of Porsche, but you should see the clip on the Carrera GT, when he describes the material for the brakes and the clutch… hilarious.. and he had such positive comments on the car overall… that is one Porsche he likes.

I only wish we could see it in the US on a regular basis... I never get to see it on cable... I need to learn how to setup my frigging box to record these shows...
Old 08-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Sten
Pro

You can get the general idea here Mr.Clarkson can be annoying but he can also be extremely funny - and anyone who hates caravans can't be all bad!
Old 08-18-2005, 09:58 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last night's show had the enzo, F40, Carrera GT, etc. I thought the single most funny part of the show was the Volvo 760GLE on the test track- man did that thing lean! Segment was comparing 3 cheap cars the hosts bought for something like $200- they were comparing to see who got the better deal. My dad had a 740GLE with orignal suspension and 170,000+ miles on it and it did that same lean (you really didn't need to be going that fast to lean because those shocks were SHOT)!
Old 08-18-2005, 10:19 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

I saw the same episode Andrew's talking about, and what a riot. The three hosts had to buy a car for less than 100 quid, drive them to Manchester and back, and then wring them out on the track. Holy body lean Batman! Finally, they had to drive the cars at 30mph into a wall to see if they (the cars and the hosts) would survive. Also some great footage of a Carrera GT in action. Great show.
Brian
Old 08-18-2005, 11:05 AM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed, best car show on TV.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:21 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

The God's are smiling on US viewers because Top Gear is back on the tube!

As I type there is a repeat airing on The Science Channel (Mitsubishi EVO vs. Lambo), but my Tivo also has several shows slated for the next couple weeks on Discovery.

Great Stuff! If you are new to this thread, the show is well worth checking out.

Brian
Old 01-29-2006, 03:02 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

I heard the new shows were going to be some cheesy Americanized version... I really hope not.

This is/was a great program.

Off to make sure my Tivo is ready to get whatever airs.

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2006, 12:14 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

I thought I would revive this thread....

My joy from last January was premature, as It appears that Top Gear was only back on the air very briefly. And while I do see an occasional repeat on The Science Channel, it appears that we US viewers are again being Top Gear deprived.

But lo and behold, it appears that Speed Channel is now airing 5th Gear on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

This was my first viewing of 5th gear (the show covered the Stealth Car and a Ferrari 360), and I have only seen one episode, but thus far, all I can say is "Bring Back Top Gear"!.

A couple observations:

Is it just me, our is 5th Gear and Top gear produced by the same people? The production values, camera work, music etc., seems to be very, very similar. Either that, or one or the other is stealing from their counterpart.

In general, I found it to be a bit bland compared to Top Gear, and lacking in humor. Then again, I find the blonde girl that hosted the Ferrari segment to be strangely attractive, but I have no idea why. Probably because unlike many female TV personalities, she has a kind of "every-girl" quality about her, and she obviously likes fast cars.

In any event, I will continue to watch, but thus far, I am not encouraged.

Brian
Old 04-10-2006, 01:08 PM
jeff522
Racer

Top Gear is great.Thay do the types of things we would all like to do,and with the cars we love to do it with.The beater car contest was the best.Most of us at one time or another have been there.For me it was an Opeal Cadet wangon.What that car went throught,but somehow still ran.
I've seen the show on Speed,not nearly as good.Shure hope thay bring Top Gear back over here,but its really good....so thay wont.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:31 PM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It's funny that they (Discovery Channel etc) feel a need to essentially "dumb down" Top Gear for US viewers. The in-studio segments on the US broadcasts are specifically made for the US audience, and Clarkson and the short guy seem cut the normal spirited banter in order to look directly into the camera, read the cue card, and say "for you folks in America, that's nearly 100,000 of your George Washingtons".

The shows that have shown this year and last on Discovery/SciFi I can recall seeing on the BBC while working in Brussels 2-3 years ago. The US versions are still entertaining, but between the forced (and shorter) in-studio segments and the mixing and matching the filmed segments, the show does loose some of its natural "flow".

Clarkson is a bit of a ego-maniac, but I always get a good laugh from him, and even occasionally check out his column in the Times (online).
Old 04-10-2006, 01:37 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Hey! I found a way to get Top Gear online!

Takes a little techy expertise but was pretty easy to figure out. I was new to this kind of download software and found it intuitive.
Only drawback is that you have to watch on your PC unless you can burn a DVD, though I don't think the quality will be igh enough for a TV-sized screen.
Go here for the show DLs: http://www.finalgear.com/shows/topgear/
Go here to read the FAQ and link to bit needed software: http://www.finalgear.com/faq.php

You will need to download a little program that moves the bits over to your PC. Looks like some sort of bandwidth sharing thing. I usually jsut let it run all night and get a few episodes at a time.

This is the British version and is EXCELLENT! It is much better than 5th Gear IMO.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:04 PM
stuart1997
Instructor

I watched an episode of top gear a while ago where they had a 747 jet on a runway and to prove how powerful its engines were they put them on full throttle and pushed cars across the runway behind the engines .It was an incredible sight seen the ford mondeo literally take off the ground with the blast and get pulverised;then they pushed a citroen 2cv in the way of the engines ,that got atomised
childish but fun.
Also James mates ? got to drive his dream car,a lamborgini countach only to find out they are pretty crap and tottally overated.He said its similar to meeting your popstar/filmstar idol only to find out they are actually quite normal and boring.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:40 PM
puma1824
Pro

Like the show BUT only one problem. See this video: LINK
Old 04-11-2006, 05:25 AM
Seight
Instructor

Just to clear all this up, Top Gear is a BBC show and 5th Gear is a Channel 5 show. Basically, several years ago the BBC axed Top Gear so all the presenters left the BBC and joined Channel 5 to create 5th Gear, except for Clarkson.
Three years later BBC brought back Top Gear in it's present form, ie studio audience, chats, interaction etc...nothing like the original Top Gear.
IMHO Top Gear is now very boring other than watching Stig - who's great and yes the original Stig was Perry Mcarthy. Clarkson and Hammond are two boring, sanctimonious presenters. They have some redeeming points but they are still boring and above all totally CRAP drivers - especially Clarkson. 5th Gear on the other hand has Tiff Needell and Jason Plato, two superb racing drivers who battle it out wheel to wheel around Anglesey circuit in all sorts of cars. A great piece recently was when Tiff drove a current Williams F1 car against Vicki Butler-Henderson in a BMW M5. (And you won't see an F1 team let Clakson (if he could fit) anywhere near on e of their cars.) They are also refreshingly, not living up their own ***** like Clakson and Hammond.
Phew! There, now I've said it.......

Cheers,
Alex

Quick Reply: OT:"Top Gear" TV Show - Best Car Show Ever!