Sponsored by:

Car Appraisal in DC/VA/MD area

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 02:08 PM
LPM911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car Appraisal in DC/VA/MD area

I would like to get my Porsche appraised just to make sure the insurance company and I are seeing eye-to-eye in case of any unfortunate event. Does anyone know of a car appraisal service in the DC, VA, or MD area that specifically knows Porsche?

Thanks,
Lane
Old 08-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lane, I'm not sure what the policy is called... But you should be able to name your own price and then just pay the premium for that amount.

The only way to get a good appraisal is to go online and do it yourself. A car dealer will only put avg trade $ on it... They won't want to tell you a retail value. You could try www.nada.com and www.kbb.com to look for values that banks and insurance companies use. I think NADA is probably more accurate. Kelly usually inflates prices.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:45 PM
LPM911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talked with my insurance agent again, and she said I could change to any value I wanted, but that wouldn't mean that my value is what would be paid out. She still said the best way to get my insurance company to agree on the price is to have the appraisal done. She also told me about some special policies they can write up, but of course, they require an appraisal to be done first. She assured me that the rarity and collectibility of any car is taken into consideration, along with current market pricing for similar vehicles, should something happen.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:19 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked into an appraisal for another car that I totallly rebuilt from a wreck and figured I had $7,000 in it in out-of-pocket expenses, not counting my labor. I discussed with my insurance agent; he suggested an appraiser. Meantime, I sent him all the notes I had kept on the rebuild, with dates, costs, details, receipts, etc. He called and said that would be sufficient, that we wouldn't need an appraisal; how much did I want to insure it for? We agreed on $5,000, the cost was most reasonable ($350 a year if I remember correctly, with 7,500 miles allowed per year which is about what I put on it in 2+ years) and now in the event of any claim, the insurance company will pay up to the agreed-upon amount. Ask your agent about this. My agent was Allstate, for what it's worth.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lane... The best thing you could do now is to ask them for the name of a few appraisers. You can then pick the highest one and go with that... Either that... or you can check into a specialty insurance company that won't put you through the wringer. There are ads in all of the Porsche magazines... You could start there.

Just my .02

Quick Reply: Car Appraisal in DC/VA/MD area