Do these mag Cups fit my C2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 01:09 PM
Anatol
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Do these mag Cups fit my C2?

Hi,

I have the opportunity to buy a set of real mag/aluminum 17" Cup wheels. The dimensions are 8x17, 55 offset and 9,5x17, 55 offset.

Do these wheels fit on a standard C2? Which tyre dimensions would you recommend?

Does anybody of you have any experiences with mag wheels (e.g. on a Euro RS) considering longevity, cracking etc?

Thank you for your help!

Anatol
1991 C2
Old 01-31-2002, 01:51 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts
Are you sure about offsets and widths? If they are real Magnesium wheels from a European RS they should be 7.5" X 17" ET 55 front and 9" x 17" ET 55 rear. They should bolt directly onto you car.

The wheels for early Carrera Cup race cars were 8" x 17" ET 52 front and 9.5" x 17" ET 68 rear. These wheels are aluminum in construction. The rears fit only if a 21mm spacer and longer studs are fitted. ET=offset in mm
Old 01-31-2002, 03:25 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Also the RS Magnesium wheels are made by SM and say "Magnesium" clearly in one of the intervals bewtween spokes on the rim of wheel face. The 8 and 9.5 wheels are made by Speeedline and say "Made in Italy" on the back of a spoke. Otherwise the wheels appear identical to 1992 C2 Turbo wheels.
Old 02-01-2002, 04:40 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Anatol,
Firstly I have to agree with the previous posts. The dimensions do not seem correct for genuine Porsche Cup Wheels. Secondly, no they will not fit your C2 without spacers and thirdly, real Mag wheels have a very short life on the roads we have here. This is a very corrosive environment Anatol. Seeing as you only live just down the road I know for a fact that the roads you use are the same ones I use.
For the track events no problem but I do not recommend them for normal road use. They are also easily damaged and really cannot be repaired. I also believe that they well may not be genuine proper Mag wheels either. I think a really tough close up inspection and verification from the manufacturer may well be in order. If there is anything I can do to help please just call. This one I can get up close and personal with,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 02-01-2002, 06:07 AM
George Stevens
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antol

Genuine 964RS mags are 71/2" front and 9" rear
with a 55 offset.

I would not recommend them for all year round use.

Mine are currently off the car being refurbished for the third time!!!!

Magnesium is pourous and the finish deteriorates very quickly especially in freezing weather and on salty roads.

I am only going to use mine through the summer and fit 993 cups (which have the same offset) in the winter months.

However if you can pick up a set for the right money, buy them!!!!

They are getting rarer and in the UK a good set is worth £1500 plus.
Old 02-01-2002, 07:33 AM
George Stevens
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antol

Some more thoughts,

Porsche only fitted Mags on the RS as they gave a 10kgs weight advantage on a car that they were trying to reduce kerb weight as much as possible.

If was not for the fact that they were fitted original equipment on my car, I would have chucked mine away by now, they are more trouble than they are worth!!!!
Old 02-05-2002, 06:21 AM
Anatol
Racer

Thank you for your input!

The cups actually had te offset you suggested, making them unintresting for me because I would have to employ 21 mm spacers again. And such spacers are heavily outlawed here in Switzerland.

However, I have noticed that FVD and Cargraphic sell aftermarket Cups 9x17 ET 47 which would be just perfect. Does anybody of you have experiences with the quality of those rims?

Thanks again,

Anatol

1991 C2
Old 02-06-2002, 12:39 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Anatol- The German company "Borbet" and the Italian company "Mille Miglia" make copies of the 964 Carrera RS wheels in 7.5 and 9 inch widths using factory offsets. They are reasonably priced ($1000 to $1400 for 4 wheels in USA) and of good quality. You may want to look into these.
Old 02-07-2002, 04:47 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Anatol,
You may already know this, I am sure you do but just in case. Remember the spacers. All aftermarket wheels in Switzerland require a licence. If you purchase new, you must purchase from an approved Swiss dealer and insist on the paperwork. The wheels must be specifically and clearly identified as approved for your model. 911 Carrera or 964 Carrera is not good enough. Still got that t-shirt.
If you purchase from outside Switzerland you are going to have some troubles and expense. You see the licence can only be issued by the approved Swiss importer of those wheels. Now you personally cannot get this licence. You have to go through an approved wheel seller, who contacts the importer, who issues the licence, sends it to the shop and they give it to you. Guess what, they all charge for this and it can take months to complete. In the meantime, the wheels are illegal and the fine for unlicenced wheels is tougher than too wide spacers. The wheel licence has to be attached to the autos licence,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 02-07-2002, 06:53 AM
Anatol
Racer

Dear Adrian,

Thank you for the information. I was not aware of that! Well, in Austria things are somewhat more relaxed...

Indeed, I love Switzerland...

At every street crossing you find a tuned VW Golf scratching its belly because it sits so low on wheels wider than the whole car but a Porsche driver is simply more fun for the police to catch. I guess that is because the VW driver could not pay the fines anyway. ;-)

I will try to check whether there are any dealers for the wheels here in Switzerland.

Thank you.

Anatol

Quick Reply: Do these mag Cups fit my C2?