Sponsored by:

Cab Microswitch question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 09:53 PM
BarryG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cab Microswitch question

OK...went to put the top up today, and low and behold it goes all the way to the end but does not clamp down. SO.....Usually I know this must be the microswitch engaging prematurely. I take the panel off and try to adjust it and cannot get it to close unless I take the microswitch off the assembly. My question: If I take the microswitch out of this position and screw it down elsewhere so it cannot be a factor, will this do damage to me? If I am not mistaken, it is there only to keep me from burning the motor our trying to close it AFTEr it is closed, right?
If I am wrong, or if someone has a better plan, please let me know.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:30 AM
Peter H
Track Day

Barry,

I recently had the exact same symptom. Before explaining what fixed it for me, I'd like to clarify what you mean by the "microswitch".

If you are referring to the two microswitches connected one each to the two small tongues/contacts that poke out on each side of the front edge of the cab top, in the vicinity of the two lock-down levers that latch onto the top edge of the windshield, then we are talking about the same thing.

These two microswitches actually work in the reverse of what you are describing. They sense when the cab top is touching the windshield and then allow the two latching motors to engage and rotate the lock down latches. Neither motor will start until both microswitch tongues are in full contact with the windshield. Once they both make full contact the motors then rotate the latches.

I'm not sure what stops the motors running once they have fully engaged the latches but it is not the same microswithes. In general for this type of arrangement, it can either be another microswitch (but I haven't found one here) or a current sensor that senses the rapid increase in motor current once a motor reaches the end of its travel and stalls. The sensor quickly shuts down the motor voltage as the last step of the sequence.

In my case, and possibly yours too, one of the microswitch tongues was not making full contact with the windshield when the top had come forward as far as it was able to during its "decent". It was probably due in my case to a very slight misalignment of the top. I opened the front of the hood and adjusted the positioning of one of the tongues slightly so it made contact and all was OK. If the problem had been due to a more pronounced misalignment of the top preventing one side from coming forward far enough then the solution would have required me to somehow adjust the gearing mechanism on the offending side that actually raises and lowers the top so it came forward a little further on that side thus correcting the alignment problem. I haven't needed to figure out how that works yet, but if you need to, use the search function to look for earlier threads on the cab top mechanism.

Alternatively, your problem may be that one of the microswitches is dirty or faulty, so you would need to either fix or replace it.

Good luck.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:40 PM
BarryG
Advanced

Actually, I am talking about the ones in the backseat area of the car. The switches are about 6 months old...and are not dirty at this point. It has to be an adjustment thing...but If I can eliminate having to use the upper set at all....

Barry
Old 04-07-2003, 06:46 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

Barry, I have a cabriolet manual. It states about the upper microswitch "This trip position does not come into effect during normal operation". It call for a min. 3mm distance with the top closed. I take this to mean it's an overide protection as you stated. Regards, Roy
Old 04-07-2003, 08:49 PM
Peter H
Track Day

Roy, you mention you have a cabriolet manual. Do you mean the Porsche car manual, which does have some info about the cabriolet top, or to a separate (service?) manual. My car manual that came with the vehicle has precious little detail regarding operation of the top.

Peter
Old 04-08-2003, 10:09 AM
Michael Delaney
Racer

Peter, I have a service manual WKD 492 620. It's dated 3/87 but everything appears identical to my 1991 car. It's titled Test Plan Cabriolet. 16 pages.

Quick Reply: Cab Microswitch question