Sponsored by:

964RS (LHD or RHD)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 05:49 AM
George Stevens
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
996Cab

Sorry to enter the discussion at such a late stage.

If you buy the Feb copy of 911 and Porsche world you will see that includes a running report on my 1992 964RS.

Like you after owning a RHD 911I was bit unnerved by the LHD set up to start with but I have been using the car vitually as a daily driver since July and I love it. It just takes some time to get used to (like looking over your right shoulder when reversing)

I jump from RHD to LHD with out any problems and a recent track day was completely uneventful.

The LHD cars are meant to have a quicker steering rack and better pedal arrangement.

You can get a reasonable car for £23,000 (this must be the bargain of the decade!!!)Make sure you have a through inspection before you buy and that it is complete (the magnesium alloys are worth £2000 a set so they are often missing), I bought a finance repo very cheaply but I have spent almost £7,000 returning the car to how it should be.

George

Old 01-24-2002, 06:20 AM
996cab.com
Instructor

Adrian,
To answer your question, this car is for track use ONLY. I dare you to use the 964RS as an everyday car – certainly not on British A or B-roads! Surely it is a bit too uncompromising for street use?

I have been fortunate enough to get sponsorship interest from family & friends on race running cost only once I am up to competent level to race - I anticipate competition racing from next year. The initial purchase is my sole investment. The weight of expectation is high even before getting started.

Reasons for hesitation are simple
a) Just want to get off to good start! Sponsors would not be too happy IF I got my initial purchase wrong.
b) In the UK, IF a car is found to have chequered history - be it stolen, finance owing etc then authorities will take the car from you and hand it back to rightful owner. You lose your money & the car. By wisely is the keyword.
c) Oddly enough this chap selling the car had his house on the market for sale.
d) Car still in previous owners’ name although he claimed to have owned it for 10months.
e) Wants a quick sale. Circa £23k

John,
The theory checks have been done - chassis cross-reference with PCGB but not PCGB 964 RS Register. I have also already done a HPI.
I am onto this board just to learn more about what to watch out for and differentiate between LHD & RHD performance.

The current owner points out mods however he admits to having no documents on changes carried out. I am arranging PDI with OPC (local to him - car is 350 miles from me). Again my hesitance is to ensure that I get off to a good start. I know off atleast 4 more LHD in the UK from established dealers starting from £25.5k to £27.9k.
Old 01-24-2002, 06:30 AM
996cab.com
Instructor

George,
Thank you very much for your late, but deciding comments. I think I would give this particular car a miss and buy from established dealer. As they say, you get nothing from FREE in this world! Beautiful example you have there!

Adrian,
You are right. Buy well because changes would need to be made any way.

John,
Thanks for your input as well. I now have all ‘what to look for’ notes. I would be in touch to get more details of track events. I should have a car soon.
Old 01-24-2002, 07:05 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

I would be happy to take any RS out on any roads. My C4 is set up to RS specs with a slightly stiffer suspension.
I love a dare so I am happy to take your RS set up for the track on your B roads. You should see some of our "Yellow coded roads". No problem just be careful with the passengers. I have even been offroad in my C4 as it is set up. Great fun.
I love things stiff and twitchy, you know you are driving then.
Onto serious matters. You need to do title checks and the like but this is way different from a few unimportant items like speedo face dial falling off. Never had a speedo in our track cars. You knew when you were going to fast when you did not get around the curve,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 01-24-2002, 07:15 AM
George Stevens
Racer

996 Cab

That 996 has made you soft!!!!

I have a Merc C240 sport estate as well.

guess which one I jump into most mornings

clue....it doesn't have a three pointed star on the bonnet.

Once you buy one, you'll be hooked!!!!

Old 01-24-2002, 09:08 AM
996cab.com
Instructor

Adrian,
I might just take you up on the challenge.

Anyhow, I now am up with what to look for on a 964 RS. Expect further posts and photos in due course.

Thanks to all yet again.

George
would you be attending the Surrey beer night on the 30th?. See the 993 board under title post 'Surrey beer night...'. I am making it for the 1st time, see if you can make it.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:52 AM
George Stevens
Racer

Sorry can't do the 30th, work commitments I'm afraid.

Hopefully see you later in the year at a track day in your RS!!!!!

Quick Reply: 964RS (LHD or RHD)