Sponsored by:

Oil Lines?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 10:41 PM
DarrylC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Lines?

My car is leaking oil from what I believe is an oil line. I have attached (I hope) a picture of the area where the leak is coming from. Is this an easy repair?
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2005, 11:27 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you give us some description of what your picture is showing? Is that the secondary muffler in the top left corner? A great way to find oil leaks is to let the car sit overnight, then use some simple green to clean all the old oil and road gunk off the engine. Then start 'er up and let 'er run until she's warm. Shut down, and the give the car a good amount of time to leak. Finally, throw the car up on stands and track the leak from there. You can even use foot powder to make the leaks more visible. Good luck.
Brian
Old 08-06-2005, 10:04 AM
DarrylC
Intermediate

The picture shows the beginning of my primary muffler bipass in the lower right corner of the picture. The picture was taken from directly under the back bumper. I can see the oil slowly dripping from the connection of the metal line and the braided line in the picture. Is this a part that is easily removed?
Old 08-08-2005, 06:46 AM
toro
8th Gear

STOP........

I have had exactly the same problem last week.... the car was supposed to have a service and my mechanic pulled off the undertray and saw the leak. He topped off the oil and sent me away until he could get the new pipe. A few days later and the night before the pipe was due to be instaled it started to let go completely pumping out all but 2 quarts...... 3 in the morning just managed to get it to the shop... a hole the size of a toothpick.. VERY CLOSE SHAVE, could have been a total engine rebuild.!!!!
The problem is that the original pipes are plated steel which rusts from the outside in (obviously) and the new ones (£200.... $360 ish) are plated copper. It is a total bastard to install as the manifolds have to come off, although my mechanic managed to avoid that by cutting the perfect old solid bit of pipe at the top off and using a union attached new part. He preps le-mans RS/RSR types so I trust his judgement.......

I hope this helps...

Quick Reply: Oil Lines?