Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack Points?

Old 08-04-2005, 02:41 PM
JONES199
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack Points?

Are there any Jack Points up the middle of the car?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:35 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Middle as in the underside of the engine (midline of the car), or middle as in anterior to the rear tires on the standard jack point?
Old 08-04-2005, 05:36 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by JONES199
Are there any Jack Points up the middle of the car?

I just looked (just to double check...) and there are no jack points in the middle of the car...
Old 08-04-2005, 05:50 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Jaime - do you use the underside of the engine to jack up the rear?
Old 08-04-2005, 06:22 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After looking up the procedure for removing the engine and transmission from the 964's I question the wisdom of using the engine for jacking up the car. The engine adapter as pictured in Adrian's book, if one had them, would certainly be of good use.

By the by, has anyone one the list jury-rigged such adapters?
Old 08-04-2005, 07:36 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jerry Garwick
After looking up the procedure for removing the engine and transmission from the 964's I question the wisdom of using the engine for jacking up the car.

Good point Jerry, but I think it's more for complete removal so you can balance the whole assembly - I've had an engine not so well balanced and it's not a light thing to catch when it decides to topple! Reminds me of a surgeon friend of mine who ended up disabled for a couple months because his engine rolled off the jack onto his hand

I think jacking on the engine shouldn't cause harm, since one of the contact points of that adapter is in the same place as the jack pad would go. I bet if you did a poll most people use the engine to lift from... but I could be wrong!!!
Old 08-04-2005, 08:56 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take a look at: http://p-car.com/diy/jacktowpoint/. I've considered one of these, it looks cool too. Assume it would work for 964 as well.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:50 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by garrett376
Jaime - do you use the underside of the engine to jack up the rear?
I used to... placed a piece of wood to avoid metal to metal contact... ..but there was always that fear that I would break the engine case...

Now I use this:

Old 08-04-2005, 11:38 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Jaime,
I been wanting to ask you how the lift was working out. Now seems like a good time! Looks like pretty good. Any problems? I am really thinking of getting one after i sell the Benz and have another side of the garage to use! If you dont mind what was the cost again and was it hard to set up?
Old 08-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by jimq
Jaime,
I been wanting to ask you how the lift was working out. Now seems like a good time! Looks like pretty good. Any problems? I am really thinking of getting one after i sell the Benz and have another side of the garage to use! If you dont mind what was the cost again and was it hard to set up?

Jim,

If you have the ceiling height to accomodate it, go with the two post unit... not much more that expensive and you will have better acccess to the center of the car. If that is not the case then this unit is a good alternative.

I have been using the unit for any work in the R32 or the 964... heck, I sometimes lift the 964, sit on the sit-on creeper and just stare at the car... sick I know... I also changed the exhaust in my brother's Volvo, a few VW Vortex members that needed help with this or that...

So far it has been working without a problem. Here is the link to the thread with all the information. There was a guy that modified (cut) one cross member to have better access to the engine in his 993. I might do the same since there seems to be no structural risk in taking off that part. Or I just might modify it to be able to take that cross member out and bolted back in when not working on the engine in the 964...

go the last page of this thread... you will see the piece that he removed and there is also links to a video of the lift in action...

Mid-Rise Lift

You are looking at around US$1,500.00 delivered to your house.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:37 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
I think jacking on the engine shouldn't cause harm, since one of the contact points of that adapter is in the same place as the jack pad would go.
The one warning I've been given about engine jacking was that it will cause the hydraulic motor mounts to fail forcing the jelly to ooze out. I haven't seen it happen but two mechanics on the east coast have warned me and yet I still do it anyway... (RS motormounts here I come)
Old 08-06-2005, 07:17 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I like this one since it has adjustable lifting arms, is portable, and is 41.25 inches wide. Keep scrolling down, it's a long page....

http://www.asedeals.com/mid_rise_lift.html
Old 08-06-2005, 08:27 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

anybody tried one of these lifts? Doesnt look real sturdy but maybe would in person.
Is it the same as you have Jaime?
Old 08-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Goodness, I would not climb under that.....I'd be afraid.

Marc
Old 08-06-2005, 10:38 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jimq
anybody tried one of these lifts? Doesnt look real sturdy but maybe would in person.
Is it the same as you have Jaime?

That is what I have...

Pretty solid... that thing weights close to 1,000 pounds... has a mechanical lock, dual hydraulic arms. If you follow the link to the other post you can see one owner from the 993 forum that use it to raise the car and worked/remove the engine and tranny.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jack Points?