Sponsored by:

Kumho Ecsta 712's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 11:26 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Kumho Ecsta 712's?

It's almost tyre replacement time. I have heard some good things about the above tyres. On tirerack.com they achieve a 8.4 out of 10 score. Can anyone give me some comments from personal experience?

thanks
Old 01-18-2002, 11:45 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,
I didn't like them. It's a bit of an unfair comment because I had mis-matched tyres when I bought the car. Half worn Yokohamas on the back and brand new Kumho's on the front. With this combination it always felt like the front wanted to slide if cornering hard, and especially on tight turns like roundabouts. I know that the C4 has a reputation for understeer but I wouldn't expect that to feel the same as the tyres beginning to fight for grip. This was most noticeable in the dry - they did feel better in the wet.

The backs needed changing last week and I had the choice of Kumhos to match the front (which had done 5K miles) or a whole new set. I went for the whole new set (Bridgestone SO2s) and I'm glad I did. It hasn't actually been dry since - but on the way to work there is a nice S bend on the motorway slip road. On the old tyres, at 80mph dry / 60mph wet it felt like the front tyres were giving a big warning that I was going fast enough. With the SO2s, I went round there at 70mph in the wet yesterday and it felt like the car was on rails - and telling me I could have gone much faster.

Dave
90 C4
Old 01-21-2002, 03:13 PM
Roman Mayer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Just put them on ( 215/45/17 front and 255/40 17 rear )and like them alot. However, I was coming off Brand New Dunlop 5000 205/55 front and 225/50 resr 16's that were on it when I bought it and I hated those.

So maybe the 17 inch plus one made up some of this difference but it feels much tighter with better turn in and Grip.

They are tough to beat on value.

Quick Reply: Kumho Ecsta 712's?