Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is the under seat amplifier connected?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 08:54 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post How is the under seat amplifier connected?

Hi,
Since Adrian told me recently that my DME was definitely under the left seat, I've finally got around to checking what was under the right seat.

I have found that it's the amp, which I know a number of people have. My question is - how is it connected? I can see one round connector plugged into it - but nothing else. I plan to look at this properly tonight and trace where the connector comes from - I assume it should be the stereo but I wonder if this was done when I had the stereo replaced after I bought the car.

Also - shouldn't the amp drive the speakers? I can see speaker connections on it, but nothing plugged in.

I will check properly tonight - and may even decide to replace the 14 year old amp with a new one - but would like to know what to expect.

Apologies for my obvious stereo connection ignorance.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:53 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts
Dave,

When I had a new stereo installed, my installer was not able to find a replacement applifier that would fit in the factory location. I decided to not have an external amplifier instead of putting the amp in my trunk. So I have the factor amp sitting disconnected under my passenger seat.

My suspicion is that if you have an aftermarket stereo installed, yours may be also there but not used. This would explain why the speakers are not connected to it.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:37 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Hi,
You're right. I followed the cable and it is folded up and goes nowhere.

Went to a stereo shop who said that my head unit probably had better amplifiers in it anyway. I asked whether I should replace the amp with a new one - and he said that if the stereo is loud enough now, and unless I have expensive speakers then the the answer is no. Not worth it.
Old 06-25-2003, 05:22 PM
John Miles
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by DaveK:
<strong>Hi,
You're right. I followed the cable and it is folded up and goes nowhere.

Went to a stereo shop who said that my head unit probably had better amplifiers in it anyway. I asked whether I should replace the amp with a new one - and he said that if the stereo is loud enough now, and unless I have expensive speakers then the the answer is no. Not worth it.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I replaced my head unit and didn't bother to replace the amp. Not that happy with the volume and bass response...And I had a top of the range Becker (40W).
Replaced the amp under the seat with a new Alpine unit and a world of difference.
But if you are happy.......
J
See <a href="http://www.porsche964.co.uk" target="_blank">www.porsche964.co.uk</a> on the C4 PSH section for details.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:09 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You can relocate the other units under your seat to make room for a slightly larger amplifier. I went with the Soundstream Angina BASS amp with 200W and ran it to a removable subwoofer tube.

I just unscrewed the alarm and tail unit (from memory, I believe that's what they were) and just moved one of them 1/2" or so and the other was mounted at a 45deg. angle or something, made it perpendicular to the seat rails and moved it over an inch or two...provided just enough room for the Soundstream Angina amp. I also used the existing 10gauge power lead to the original amp. - I know, not really sufficient enough to run a bank of subs, but I just have one 8" tube, that's all I need.

I then purchased a 50W x 4 deck unit by Pioneer and ran the 50W x 4 to the doors and rear deck...not enough UMPH!

I have yet to install, although the wires have been run since Feb. an amp in the front compartment that will be screwed to a round fabricated piece of MDF that matches up in the spare tire and the wiring will be easily removable.

I chose a Soundstream 4channel amp, 45W x 4 I believe to drive the car with a CLEAN AND CLEAR 45W RMS.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:46 PM
UncleRemus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI, just for reference the Alpine PDX-5 will fit under the passenger seat after you remove or bend the OEM amplifier mounting tabs. It's a 5 channel amp, so it can do everything you want in one package.

I was reluctant to do a lot of damage to the car, as I'm not a huge audiophile, but that plate under the passenger seat is really perfect for this application.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Ryan360
Instructor

my Alpine doesn't give enough punch. it could be the amp as well. thanks!

Quick Reply: How is the under seat amplifier connected?