Trip to the 'Ring'

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 06:29 PM
willie964
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trip to the 'Ring'

Hi folks,

Making a trip to the 'Ring' 28th thru 30th August. Just a quick trip I'm afraid but restricted due to commitments at home. Is anyone else thinking of going around these dates as would be good to meet up. Last I looked the track was open 28th all day and then 1/2 days 29th and 30th.

I am a 'Ring' virgin ( yes, and I do realise how this sounds, and for those thinking in the other context - virgin there too and proud of it !! ).

I'm sure after the trip that I will also be making a few more posts regarding mods - that's if myself and the faithful steed make it back in one piece !

Cheers
Willie

'90 C2 Targa
Old 08-01-2005, 08:23 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just came back this morning - if you're up in Scotland I suggest the Hull - Rotterdam ferry. Leaves Hull at 9 pm. You arrive at 8 am bright and refreshed - its 3-4 hrs to the 'ring (200 miles).

You will not regret it at all - it is petrol Nirvana
Old 08-01-2005, 04:16 PM
brookewebb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 'ring virgin' called Willie. Sorry - couldn't resist that one.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:22 PM
nekbet
Instructor

I've always thought it'd be a great trip idea.. but never thought about the logistics of it -
Coming from the US, can I rent a decent car and take it on it? What's it cost? What is the best way to get there (fly into XXX and drive, etc)?

Any advice would be great.. I'm looking for a late-fall trip (does it close due to weather?) this year.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-01-2005, 04:39 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Fly to Koln/Bonn airport - its abot 50 miles away. Don't need to rent a 'decent' car - though there are loads of GT2s, GT3s, 96s, Rs's etc etc, many of the quickest cars are old golfs, alfas, 924s. We were in a Lambo Countach and a 964 Turbo S this weekend and being passed by Ford Focus's, alfas, golfs - basically the locals know the track really well and can really push on over blind crests etc.

We stayed in the Dorint - our balcony (suite 408) overlooked the start/finish staight of the GP circuit - yet it was only 160 Euro for the room for both of us. It is much cheaper when there is no race meeting on, but there was some touring car and formula 3 stuff going on - a great alarm clock!

Anywy, its really incredible if you love cars - a mecca for petrol minded people.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:31 AM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Originally Posted by willie964
Making a trip to the 'Ring' 28th thru 30th August.
Sorry, I won't be there that weekend. Did you check out Ben Lovejoy's site? It should have all the info you need, including information on rental agencies. Some of those now strictly forbid you to take their cars on "a racetrack, even if it's open to the general public". I wouldn't want to take a car out on the Ring without 3rd party insurance...

Cheers,

JW
Old 08-02-2005, 06:37 AM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Originally Posted by johnfm
Just came back this morning
Were you there during last weekend? If so then it's a bit of a bummer that I didn't realise that, because I was there too...

Cheers,

JW
Old 08-02-2005, 08:06 AM
willie964
Advanced

JW,
Yes have checked out Ben's site, also gained alot of good info from your's aswell. Can't wait to get there, although a bit apprehensive as well, it's not until you start really studying the track in depth that you realise how tricky it is.
I got a hold of a copy of "Sport auto" presented by BMW M GmbH, that has a real good corner by corner run down of the track so have been doing some homework via this as well as the "in car" videos, no substitute for the real thing........

Sorry you won't be there
Cheers
Willie

'90 C2 Targa
Old 08-02-2005, 08:12 AM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Originally Posted by willie964
Can't wait to get there, although a bit apprehensive as well, it's not until you start really studying the track in depth that you realise how tricky it is.
After 300+ laps I'm still learning

I got a hold of a copy of "Sport auto" presented by BMW M GmbH, that has a real good corner by corner run down of the track
As long as you keep in mind that some of the speeds are decidedly optimistic for "normal" people during tourist-driving, that guide can be quite useful.
Unless you're familiar with the place you'll also struggle to find some of their reference points

And for the perfectionists among us, there have been some changes to the track after that article was written...

Have fun!

Cheers,

JW
Old 08-02-2005, 05:13 PM
johnfm
Drifting

JW

I was there with the white Countach and SY 964 turbo S.

The turbo S was pretty rapid - boost limit was 1.2bar IIRC, car was making 460ish HP under full boost - yikes!!

We hit 170+ in the Lambo on the autobahn on way down - I have to admit 5.2 litres of V12 beind you sounds very pleasant.

Which day/s were you there? We lapped on Saturday 2pm - 7is and Sunday after the big crash (my lap in the turbo was in the wet!!)
Old 08-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Just came back this morning - if you're up in Scotland I suggest the Hull - Rotterdam ferry. Leaves Hull at 9 pm. You arrive at 8 am bright and refreshed - its 3-4 hrs to the 'ring (200 miles).
Bugger that! You need to go from Rosyth - Zeebrugge. Its a bit pricier than the Hull ferry, but better than having Hull-Aberdeen to drive on the way home, when your cream crackered.

My other recommendation is to borrow a PS2 and GT4, and do some time trials around the ring. The sport auto guide is a bit hard to take in - GT4 is superb for learning where the track goes, so youre not completely lost into every corner. It doesn't give any feel for gradients and jumps (nor for sudden unexpected damp sections) - so its still best to treat it like a nice Scottish B road, rather than a racetrack, IMO. I know its easy to get confused sometimes..
Old 08-02-2005, 07:34 PM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Smile

Which day/s were you there? We lapped on Saturday 2pm - 7is and Sunday after the big crash (my lap in the turbo was in the wet!!)
The white Lambo was hard to miss. A mate of mine (Ben Lovejoy) had a chat with the owner. Good to see that cars like that go out on the Ring. Most of them just take up two parking spaces all day long

The Turbo S is one of my alltime favourite cars. Must have been a bit intimidating to drive a beast like that in the wet.

I was there from Saturday (about 14.00) until Sunday (about 18.00). I took loads of pics on Sunday morning from 10.50 to 11.50, but didn't see the Turbo or the Lambo.

There were lots of 964s about, as always.

We must have been on the track at the same time though: I did 7 laps on Saturday afternoon in my company car, a Seat Ibiza. Gives you quite a kick if you chase down and overtake a GT3 in one of those

Do you have any trips planned for the rest of the year?

Cheers,

JW
Old 08-02-2005, 10:41 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State

The old track started my love affair with sport cars. I went to the German GP during the summer of 1961. It was won by Manfred (?) Von Trips driving an Italian car. I could never figure that one out since Porsches were running Formula One that year. I was with a fellow driving a Fiat roadster and when departing in the rain we smashed into the rear of a German couple in a 356 coupe. My first and only accident involving a Porsche. I have always wanted to return to the "Ring."
Old 08-02-2005, 11:44 PM
willie964
Advanced

John,

Yes I am booked on the Rosyth ferry, as you say not as cheap as Hull but cuts out all the tedious driving up to the NE riviera of Aberdeen !!
I am actually also doing the El-cheapo version of taking the reclining seats ( which I am sure I will regret ), however it can't be any worse than the trip I make to Australia every month return w/o a stopover,

When are you going over next to the 'ring' ?
Cheers
Willie

'90 C2 Targa
Old 08-03-2005, 08:50 AM
johnfm
Drifting

I just emaialed Sabine's mum at the Tiergarten - maybe go again in September.

JW, I wish Ben had made himself known - the Lambo is my brother-in-laws car and I would have had a chat. What was Ben driving?

Re: that picture - I saw both of those cars. Was the SEAT you drove red?? If so, I saw that too!

Quick Reply: Trip to the 'Ring'