Sponsored by:

Tips appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 06:53 AM
Taj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Tips appreciated

Knew it had to happen. Got the C2 MOT'd yesterday, (UK roadworthy test), and it failed . The points that need addressing are 2 new steering rack gaitors, and inability to clear screen. I have the workshop manual which is extensive but not helpful in all cases. The steering is pretty well documented, although the PET CD may be better for diagrams(where can i get it?).

On the screen washer, these are my observations, the pump does not work on wash or wash/wipe. The intensive cleaner only squirts out of the passenger side nozzles. The headlamp wash works ok. I have had the motor out and it was working after i cleaned the plug contacts which were corroded with washer fluid. Maybe the motor is leaking fluid onto the contacts, and its corroded again.

Gotta do this work in the near future so any tips/advice appreciated as always.

Taj.

91 C2 LHD, officially not roadworthy!!
Old 07-31-2002, 08:11 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Taj,
There are three motors,
Windshield
Headlamps
Intensive Washer.
Often the motors work under no load and crack up when they have to pump.
First thing to do is get the motor working. Like replace it.
Your drivers side system is blocked. I learned recently that some 964s (mine does not) has a one way valve in the line at a t-piece. I have the t-piece but it is open, no one way valve. Maybe this is a PO mod on my C4 or a national requirement.
I also recommend that you remove the contents of the intensive washer if it is filled with the special silicon based fluid and fill with normal washer fluid.
Check the gaskets around the pump. If they leak this also causes some problems.
You can cheat and pull the intensive pump out and try this unit in the windshield position. Empty small tank first though. You can also swap over the headlamp motor/pump. Please do remember that these are electric driven pumps. Motor might turn but pump might not pump. Normally though they just spark and die.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 07-31-2002, 08:51 AM
Arthur.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Silly question, but what's this intensive washing thing? Does my C2 have it as well?
Old 07-31-2002, 09:00 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Arthur,
First thing is, yes I agree it is silly. It is actually an option (except on 964RSs). To see if you have it installed firstly look at your dash. You will see a small switch on the dash for the washer. Second, pop open the trunk/hood lid and look to the left. You will see a hole in the carpet onthe side and a red lid sticking out. This is the intensive washer tank lid. If you pull out the carpet this will expose the tank.
964 RS owners please note. You have this tank as well. However in your RS this "IS" your main washer tank. You do not have the big tank in the left hand wheel arch. Saves weight. I am not sure for the RS Touring (11 RHDs only) if they had the big tank fitted. The Basics and NGTs did not.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 07-31-2002, 09:11 AM
Arthur.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Adrian, thanks. You confirmed what I expected. It's not on my car - it was mentioned in the user's manual but I could not find it, so now I know.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:01 AM
Taj
Racer

Question

is the steering rack boot split a common problem, or do i need to look into a cause as both have split?
Old 07-31-2002, 10:06 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Taj

This is quite a common problem on older cars as the rubber just tends to perish. Don't worry this is not something you will have to do every couple of years - it is normally just the age catching up.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:20 AM
Roly
Intermediate

The gaitors on my '90 C4 failed the MOT in October 2000. They did not fail last October.

On the subject of windscreen washers, my intense wash tank is full and as far as I can remember I've never filled it. I guessed that the motor had failed so I add screenwash to the main tank instead.

Everything works but should I be doing this?

If I wanted to replace/test it, where is the motor on intense tank?
Old 07-31-2002, 10:27 AM
Christer
Race Car

Wink

Roly

This has been covered before. Use the main tank as normal with washer fluid. The intensive washer bottle used to contain a very strong silicon based cleaner that can actually damage paintwork I believe. What I and others now do is to use the intensive washer reservoir as a backup to the normal tank. Just empty and fill it with water and washer fluid as normal.

Christer
Old 07-31-2002, 10:35 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Roly,
The pump is on the tank. You cannot miss it. The fluid in the washer does not damage paintwork. It just makes a huge mess of your windshield. it was called the intensive washer because it takes intensive cleaning afterwards to clean the muck off. The fluid is also very expensive.
I use it as my back up. It does not give many washes either but it is good for long trip. If you live in a very cold region, empty it for winter. Otherwise it overflows when it freezes and the fluid (regardless of what it is) leaks down into the luggage compartment and into the control units very nearby,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 07-31-2002, 12:45 PM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Everyone

Just on this 'intensive washer' thing.... does anyone else get really p**ssed when you clean your windscreen, but afterwards the soapy liquid has left the rest of the car filthy and spotty.... but the window is spotless?

And the mistake of pressing the headlamp cleaner when wanting brights... and you've just polished the car to go out for the night...

Anyway, slightly off topic for the thread, but I was wondering....

Old 07-31-2002, 07:10 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Yes and... yes!

You see, Kevin, there IS a fly in my ointment after all!

Old 07-31-2002, 08:02 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

Kevin - how do you activate the headlight cleaners? (I'm guessing from your post that you use the left stalk).
Old 07-31-2002, 08:12 PM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

J-M

Ummmm, , Sitting here at my desk I just can't remember! All I know is that I drive a Toyota LandCruiser around 5 of 7 days, and therefore when I get in my Baby I sometimes get the levers wrong... and land up spraying headlight cleaner all over my newly polished front end
Old 07-31-2002, 10:13 PM
Ragin' Bajan
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by J-McDonald:
<strong>Kevin - how do you activate the headlight cleaners? (I'm guessing from your post that you use the left stalk).</strong><hr></blockquote>

I drive a LHD car so my stalk is on the right--I presume it's on the reverse side for RHD cars. Anyways, pulling the windshield wiper stalk activates the windshield washer jets, *pushing* it activates the headlight ones.

Quick Reply: Tips appreciated