Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 11:44 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Oil tank capacity

During my Scottish holiday, my car used its traditional litre per 1000 miles of oil.

I don't bother to top up whilst away these days, having had problems from overfilling in the past. More than one source has told me not to be overconcerned about running low - there's so much oil in the system anyway. Therefore, as long as the needle on the gauge shows signs of not being permantly stuck on the bottom, I leave the topping up until I get home.

However, the crucial factor, surely, is the capacity of the actual oil tank itself - anyone know this figure?
Old 06-23-2003, 12:42 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
John,

I think the oil capacity for the whole system is approx 11.5 litres, although for an oil change you don't need more than about 9 litres as some is always left in the system that cannot be drained.

From top to bottom of the guage seems to be around 1.5 liters on mine, so their is plenty of oil left!

Andy
Old 06-23-2003, 01:02 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, but what I'd like to know is, when the level reaches the bottom of the dipstick and/or gauge, how much remains in the actual tank as opposed to sloshing about in the pipework fore and aft, etc.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:26 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dear John,
Bottom line is about 5 or 6 litres. The fact that the oil is nice a foamy at normal operating temperature reduces overall capacity. This means you have a total volume of 7 to 8 litres of usable oil remaining in the whole system with the dipstick reading at the bottom.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: Oil tank capacity