More on Alarming Behaviour

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 07:55 AM
Taj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question More on Alarming Behaviour

Hi,
Just been reading the thread "Alarming Behaviour" and thought this was a good time to make sure this green wire is connected to the cage of the radio, as the radio is out getting repaired under warranty. Where is the green wire? Which loom is it a part of, and is it single or double core? I have a double core green wire that has been chopped, but it looks like an aerial lead.
Thanks,

Taj.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:19 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Taj,
On the original radio rack on one side you should find a switch. On this switch is an insulated post. On this post is connected a green single core wire. This wire must be insulated from earth.
If the wire is missing then you will have to find it. It sits in the radio connector loom. The one that has the power supply to the radio. It normally runs out of the loom a inch or so before the plug. However this does vary a lot between versions and countries. Not the speaker connection plug. This wire normally get chaffed on the edge of the radio rack OR the insulated post is damaged and earthing out. Now some installations from the factory, actually have the switch (basically a level switch) installed in the radio/cd player itself. You need to try and identify this. If the switch is completely missing from the radio rack then it is either an internal switch system (same green wire just re-directed inot the power supply plug) or the rack is not original. Complicated, sure is,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: Whilst you are in the mood for checking these things I aslo advise you check the glove box switch is working correctly as well. Ensure that the switch is not being fouled by anything. A simple mobile telephone cable has been known to cause alarm problems and a flat battery.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:24 AM
Taj
Racer

Hi Adrian,
Thanks for the prompt response. This green wire needs a positive feed right? Ignition switched or permanent? I am going to have top find it as I don't recall seeing a green wire with an assembly on it such as a switch, and the original radio cage is long gone, it's a pioneer one now.

Taj.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:34 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Taj,
This wire is powered by the alarm system at all times unless the battery is disconnected. This wire in your circumstances should be tied up somewhere in the loom area directly behind the radio rack.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 07-29-2002, 08:45 AM
Taj
Racer

Question

Hi Adrian,
Just to make sure it's clear. If I don't have the original cage, and I find this wire, then I don't need to do anything to it, right? i.e. It provides protection for radio theft, but only if connected with the switch on the original cage. This switch I assume triggers on removal of the stereo. If it is disconnected, i.e. terminated, with no switch, then I have no problem.

Taj.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:55 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Taj,
You must make sure this wire is totally insulated and not damaged along its length that you can find. Yes this wire can still and does cause problems if it is earthing out somewhere. Flat battery!!!,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: More on Alarming Behaviour