964 C4 previous owners???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 03:54 AM
964rh
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 C4 previous owners???

Hi all

I'm trying (without much success) to trace previous history/owners of my 964 C4.

Just wondered if anyone on here used to own a Guards Red 1990 C4 reg. G24 UAM?

I have all of the service history and a lot of receipts but some are missing from the first four years of it's life, think it was a company car.

I don't want to hassle people about ownership, just see if they've any stories, bills or anythng interesting about the car that I don't know about.

Thanks

Rob
Old 07-28-2005, 04:56 PM
nekbet
Instructor

Rob,
Do you know if CarFax has UK records? If so, you might be able to get the title # (registration# there? Does G24 UAM stay with the car for its life?) and get a local clerk to give you the name.

-Mike
Old 03-04-2012, 05:41 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Totally random - and about 7 years late! Had some weird inclination to google my 1st P-car....

Anyway that was my 1st Porsche. Purchased from Henry at 911Virgin in about 2000. Full top end rebuild, new clutch and other bits at JZ Machtech in 2001 plus replaced the ABS control unit due to corrosion on the pins. Traded it on a rainforest green 993 C2S in 2003 which I exported back to NZ.

Been through another Guards Red C2 since then and and now back in the market for a well sorted 964/993... hence reminiscing about cars I've let go and this post!!

Great to see it spent a good few years in capable hands! Who was next??

Pete
Old 03-04-2012, 06:04 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is your preference .... 964 or 993?
Old 03-04-2012, 06:28 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stock here in NZ is so limited I need to keep an open mind on that. I've had 2 964s in the past and a 993. Aesthetically the 2S was just gorgeous but being realistic there's only 5 or 6 (S's) in the country. So the ideal plan is a tight 964 that I can start to make perfect. Funny though that when you start to search there's nothing around. So am prepared to be patient and wait for the right one.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:42 AM
VR6-er
Racer

Its hard enough over here to find one, must be nigh on impossible in NZ!

When I got mine I got to the dealer just before a guys who was flying in from OZ to look at it. Tom at 911 Virgin advised he was on a dedicated trip to buy a car before heading back. Hope he got what he wanted.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:12 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Peter, there might be a pretty tidy 964C4 on the market in a couple of weeks. Watch this space...
Old 03-04-2012, 05:00 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cheers NZ964C4 - even better it'll morph into a Guards Red by then :-)
Pete
Old 03-04-2012, 05:55 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Totally random - and about 7 years late! Had some weird inclination to google my 1st P-car....

Anyway that was my 1st Porsche. Purchased from Henry at 911Virgin in about 2000. Full top end rebuild, new clutch and other bits at JZ Machtech in 2001 plus replaced the ABS control unit due to corrosion on the pins. Traded it on a rainforest green 993 C2S in 2003 which I exported back to NZ.

Been through another Guards Red C2 since then and and now back in the market for a well sorted 964/993... hence reminiscing about cars I've let go and this post!!

Great to see it spent a good few years in capable hands! Who was next??

Pete
It's now owned by a chap who also has a 964RS. Your/Rob's C4 has now been modified even more for track days and hill climbing.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:39 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good to hear Steve. It was a real ugly duckling when I first picked it up and was evident it had spent quite a bit of its life outdoors. The tin plate was all corroded and the rubber seals were pretty average. By the time I had finished the mechanicals would have been strong but it still needed the suspension and bodywork - faded roof paint etc. Interior was actually OK from what I recall.

It went from me to Paragon - presumably from there to someone else prior to Rob.

Anyhow, bit of nostalgia for me. It was my entry into Porsche and I learned a great deal thanks to Adrian and others on the UK964 bulletin board back in those days. I regard the money pit that it became as a huge learning experience!!

Pete
Old 03-04-2012, 10:41 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Once you've had black, you'll never go back.
And I can confirm she's up for grabs as of today. PM me if you're interested.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 427 Likes on 277 Posts

I'd love to find the previous owner of mine as well - too bad we dont have a Rennlist Registry with VIN, contact info, etc...
Old 03-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I found out that my car's original owner was/is a lawyer in Seattle. I emailed a lawyer with the same name in Seattle, asking him if he once owned a 91 C4 Cab. No reply Although with a lawyer hat on, you probably don't want to open yourself up to any liability.

I just want to know if he had to have the original DMF replaced or head gaskets installed
Old 03-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 427 Likes on 277 Posts

Laker- dont worry too much about the head gaskets...Reality there is a little odd...

There is no oil in the uppoer cylinder - so - that means that the "leak" there where there is all the talking about oil seeping out between the cylinder and the head, is a little strange. Cuz there is no oil there. What happens is that when you park the car, the oil backs up in the engine and the level rises above the bottoms of the cylinders, and then weeps past the rings as the car sits. because there is no head gasket, and because the way the heads were sealed to the cylinders, when the engine is cold, there is not a good seal there and that oil weeps onto your garage floor. Now, for a car that in today's dollars was 120k dollars, this is not acceptable in 1990, so Porsche, already having issues, had to do something, and an "oil Leak" problem was born. The solution was to add a head gasket, which solves only one problem, which is the leak on the garage floor, as there had been no performance issue. When the engine was hot, everything was sealed properly, and there was no compression leak. The gasket took up the space when the engine cooled down and tolerances changed. For those of us that have the old cylinders, when the heads are done, they get machined done just a touch to take up a little bit more of the tolerance, so that when you crank down the studs you have less head warpage arching from bolt to bolt, and the problems are gone... I no I didnt explain that too well, btu if you search, you'll find one guy that actually explained it perfectly either here or on pelican forum.

Anyway - this isnt a head gasket thread - but since i just went through huge frustration trying to determine reality there - that's my two cents...way too much mis-information regarding head gaskets and the early cars...not that I like the drip, but as a question of performance issue, it is no issue.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:20 AM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
I'd love to find the previous owner of mine as well - too bad we dont have a Rennlist Registry with VIN, contact info, etc...
Well, that was one of the reasons I started the targa thread. Besides colors, options and VIN you could see who had it and where it has "been". I believe there is "just" a "VIN" thread around here somewhere though too.

Quick Reply: 964 C4 previous owners???