Old 06-20-2003, 12:57 AM
Don C
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post do-it-yourself work on 964 vs 993?

I am considering my first Porsche and am interested in the 964
(93 or 94) vs the 963 (95 or 96).

Can someone please summarize the annual maintenance required of each -
what needs to be done and typical costs if done by a mechanic.

I am also interested in which repairs/service can be done by someone
that has done almost no car work in the past, but is generally a quick
learner. I am interested in this because it can save costs, and also,
I'd finally like to learn a little about cars and have the time now to
start tinkering on the weekends.

Thanks,
Don
Old 06-20-2003, 01:12 AM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don, welcome and good luck with your search. The archives typically have the answers to questions like these, so feel free to check them first. I'm positive annual maintenance costs have come up before.

As far a 964 vs 993, the 964 will cost more to maintain mainly because it needs periodic valve adjustments that the 993 does not. Oil changes are a pain on the 993 because the second oil filter is very difficult to reach.

For a 964, figure on spending at least $1K per 15K miles, taking into account routine maintenance and tires. A clutch job can run $2500 to $4K depending on what else is required while the engine is out. The engine is typically removed for a clutch job.

Also, I always advise to look at maintenance from a mileage standpoint rather than a time basis (e.g., annually). Everyone drives their Porsche differently, such as weekend cruiser, track only, or daily driver. The amount of mileage significanly affects the amount you'll spend on maintenance per year.

As for routine maintanence, oil changes are very easy on a 964. A dealer or mechanic will charge around $125 for it, but you can do it yourself for $60 (11 quarts of synthetic oil and a filter).

Welcome a-"board"
Drew 92 C2
Old 06-20-2003, 06:41 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My view is that there won't be any significant difference in running costs between 993 and 964s. In the model years you're considering the 964s had most niggles (DMF, dizzy vent, head leaks etc)ironed out whereas the 993s where just at the first step (and some typical 993 issues are now coming to light, like the wiring loom).

Most importantly you need to consider which 'biggies' have been done on your prospective purchase (clutch, suspension arms) and how it was maintained and driven.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:43 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
I've done a lot of DIY on both my previous 964 and current 993. I think the end game as far as time put in comes out to about the same. It takes about 3 to 4 times longer to do oil changes - as said above - on a 993. I mean, seriously... who in the he!! thought that was a good place for an oil filter. Crikey! But, I make up for it when I don't need to do that valve adjustment.

Spark plugs are a cursing nightmare on the 993. Well, just the upper right hand bank. But that's a once a year item anyway so if you are ok with just dedicating a nice spring weekend to tearing things down and working on your car, it isn't all that bad. It is still plenty doable.

90% of all "maintenance" is easily DIY on either car. If you have some decent tools, a good mechanical mind, and patience, you'll be fine. Have you checked out <a href="http://www.p-car.com" target="_blank">www.p-car.com?</a> Robin has an excellent compilation of 993 DIY items.

Oh yeah - tires go faster on a 993. Not around in a circle, but down to the wear bars. Those rears just wear hard back there.

Quick Reply: do-it-yourself work on 964 vs 993?