Sponsored by:

1991 C2 worth & mechanic in Brooklyn, NY

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 05:11 PM
classic911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 1991 C2 worth & mechanic in Brooklyn, NY

I have a buddy who is looking to sell a 1991 C2 (silver over saddle). Car is in very good to excellent condition cosmetically, but needs a computer and is leaking oil from its engine. Car has approximately 48K miles on it. It is not a tiptronic.

Two questions:

1)Can anybody give a estimate of its worth?

2)Can anybody recommend a good Porsche shop in the Brooklyn/Staten Island area?

Thanks!!
Old 06-18-2003, 03:03 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my '91 C2 Tip a month and a half ago for $25,000. The car had 35,000 miles and was in excellent cosmetic & mechanical conditions. My Porsche mechanic found no oil leaks and all service records were complete. The car was originaly listed for $28,000, but owner gave discounts for worn out tires(4), sun-baked speakers, brake pads & rotors. I did not find a price difference between manual or tiptronic in So. Cal, but it may vary in different states base on the good old "supply & demand" formula. A good source for mechanic referral is your local PCA chapter. I hope this helps your buddy.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:06 AM
classic911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Miuccia-Since I'm a member of PCA, I should have thought of your suggestion. Duh!

Thanks for the info! His car apparently was in an accident but was (according to him) expertly repaired. Still, I figure knock 10-15% off the asking price for that.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:34 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The scary bit is "is leaking oil from its engine" - need to find out more, as this could mean an engine rebuild. Search the archives for material on engine oil leaks.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:43 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What do you mean by needing a new computer? The DME units on these cars are pretty expensive as I recall.

Assuming the car had its computer, I would say between $22K to $25K, at the very most. Subtract out the cost to buy and install a new computer. The value also depends on where the oil is leaking from and how much. If leaking from the cylinder heads, that probably means the car doesn't have the updated cylinder head gasket and is worth $20K tops. The update is very expensive.

If it isn't leaking from the cylinder heads, my guess is that it's leaking a little from a bunch of different areas, such as the power steering pump input shaft, cam chain housings, rear main seal, etc. Leaks from these areas are generally more annoying than dangerous. To fix all of these leaks would probably run around $2K. The cam chain housing seals are labor intensive because it requires removal of the front part of the engine (so I've been told).
Old 06-18-2003, 12:44 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

I agree with Robmug. "Oil leak" is scary (I'm paranoid when it comes oil leaks) and something most first time buyers steer away from. I know I did when I was searching for my C2.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:36 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

I agree with the others' comments. However, with respect to the "oil leaks", it's important to distinguish between a little seepage, evidenced by discoloration on the engine case, and real leaks, evidenced by wet oil on the engine case and drops left on the ground under the car.

A little seepage is pretty customary on an air-cooled engine subject to substantial heat expansion and contraction, and fixing it is probably more work that it's worth.

Real leaks, on the other hand, will need to be fixed and will, as others have said, require significant $$$ outlay.

As for a Pre-purchase inspection mechanic recommendation, I would recommend bringing it to PAR (www.parcars.com) in Westchester - they do a good, tough PPI.

Quick Reply: 1991 C2 worth & mechanic in Brooklyn, NY