Crash Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 07:19 PM
bj
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Crash Sensors

Hi All

The Hammer indicated one of the two sensors was at fault and the seatbelt/airbag lights were illuminated. Resistance checks on both sensors produced almost identical results. Are these hall effect devices and are the resistance checks enough to place blame on a bad connection for the two warning lights? Are there any other measurments I can perform to determine if a sensor is faulty? Since having the Hammer test I've discovered that the warning light/switch in the center console was disconnected and ever since connecting it I've periodically had the dashboard light up and beep which could only be reset by turning the key off then on again. Was the Hammer test done while the "!" switch/light was disconnected a valid test?

Your responses are appreciated
90C2 Guards Red
Bill
Old 07-24-2002, 05:22 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Bill,
You should do another check with the wiring connected up. The reason this was disconnected was to sell you a 964 with a problem. Seen it many times on this board.
Anyway I recommend you clean the connectors on the crash sensors and the 964 side as well. Hook everything back up (battery disconnected when you do this work) have the hammer reconnected to reset the light and start from there. No there are no other checks you can do. The last thing you want to do is set the system off. These sensors are the ones which activate the bags. I also recommend you pop the drivers airbag out and check the connectors at the airbag. This is not a very smart system. It is very early airbag technology. Most of the time it registers a crash sensor failure.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 07-24-2002, 08:54 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

The MBB crash sensor units have a integratet self control units and there isnīt a description on how it works or how to test it. If the failure code pulled relates to the sensorunit you have to renew it.

It sits on top of the forward middletunnel and has special one time useage screws.

Porsche also has a testtool for the MBB unit and for the airbagunits.

Now was it a valid test ? Canīt say it but on the 928 GTS if the interiour light bulb fuse was blown you couldnīt work trough all tests maps from the KTS unit.

Grüsse

Quick Reply: Crash Sensors