Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting problems... Shifter very loose. (small pics now!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shifting problems... Shifter very loose. (fixed)

A couple of weeks ago, I started a thread about how it was hard for me to pull the car out of gear. Well, I think I may know why it was hard to pull out of gear now-- the shifter and linkage are loose as hell and I have no idea why.

If you sit in my car and grab hold of the shift ****, you can pull the whole thing up (yes, UP!) and hear metal clanking down there as if a bolt came out down there and something that was once connected, is now disconnected. The shifter doesn't just move side to side through the gears as it should. It feels as though if the leather cover and rubber boot weren't covering the shift ****, etc, I would be able to pull it right up out of the car. Something in the shift linkage in there is loose, and now my car wont go into 5th gear because of it.

I was just out in the car trying to see what is wrong... I took all of the center console off except for the ****, which is stuck to the shifter. I need that whole assembly out of my way before I can explore any farther.

That said, my immediate questions are:

1. How do I take the shift **** off of the shift "stem"??

2. Has this happened to anyone else??

The 911 can't move until this is fixed.

Thank you,
Harry

Last edited by Euromagination; 08-08-2005 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:25 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If its like my other cars it has plastic/rubber grommets at the joints in the shift rod. These fail with age. If I puled the shifter up I could still shift. This is just how previous Pcars and my Mercedes were.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:31 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 600 Likes on 462 Posts

You should take off the tunnel cover on the underside of the car - likely that one of the many linkages is loose - I don't think you'll see much from above...
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimq
If its like my other cars it has plastic/rubber grommets at the joints in the shift rod. These fail with age. If I puled the shifter up I could still shift. This is just how previous Pcars and my Mercedes were.
Thanks.

Any idea of how I can get the shift **** off of the shift stem so I can then have room to take the rubber boot off and look down in there? It doesn't screw off like I'm used to. I tried pulling, but not too hard yet as I didn't want to break anything.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:36 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Just pull with all your might! It will come off, just don't punch yourself in the face when it comes loose! (didn't happen to me, but it's a likely occurrence!)
Old 07-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by garrett376
You should take off the tunnel cover on the underside of the car - likely the bolt that the shifter swivels on is loose - I don't think you'll see much from above...
Damn. That's rough. I guess I need to look more into how to do that as well. Is there a proper name for that bolt so I can use the search to see if anyone else has done that?
Old 07-19-2005, 01:41 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Check to see if the bracket (#24) that holds #16 came loose or the bushing is disintegrated, or #11 lost its clip #8.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Just pull with all your might! It will come off, just don't punch yourself in the face when it comes loose! (didn't happen to me, but it's a likely occurrence!)
K, done.

I have my laptop in the car with me right now as I'm doing this... Right now I'm about to take the top cover of the shifter off that holds the rubber boot tight. This way I can see underneath. There are 4 hex bolts.

Back to work.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:02 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Okay, so I have the rubber boot off and I see what is broken. It looks to be a plastic piece of something. I can't put it into words so I'm taking a picture of it right now and uploading it so everyone can see and tell me what it is.

Be back!
Old 07-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Pics of what's broken and how it moves...

Note the two broken plastic pieces to the right-front... They were like that, I didn't move them there...

This is what it looks like when I pull up on it. Look at how much play there is in there!!! About an inch! (compare with picture below)

This is how it sits when not pulled up on...

Closer view...

Sorry the pics are so big!

Can anyone tell me what I do now or what this part is called and where to get it?

Last edited by Euromagination; 07-19-2005 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:19 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Check to see if the bracket (#24) that holds #16 came loose or the bushing is disintegrated, or #11 lost its clip #8.
In the exploded diagram that you put up, garrett, the problem is in the front of #27. It's not connected as it should be. Hopefully that's all that is wrong with it.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:25 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The bushings I was talking about were the #6's. Thats a lot bigger! You might look at them also while you are in there. They can break over time.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Is there any way I can get a list of the proper names and/or part numbers for all of the rubber/plastic pieces in or around that linkage/lever area? I'm just going to buy them all at once, then replace them all so I dont have to worry about it.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:39 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Damn, I wish I had that 100" monitor. Can't see but a bolt or two on this laptop.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:04 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Euromagination
Is there any way I can get a list of the proper names and/or part numbers for all of the rubber/plastic pieces in or around that linkage/lever area? I'm just going to buy them all at once, then replace them all so I dont have to worry about it.
Not sure which parts you needs so here is a list of them all.

Numbers refer to the diagram Garrett supplied above.

Marc

Quick Reply: Shifting problems... Shifter very loose. (small pics now!)