Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distributor belt

Old 07-03-2001, 07:06 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Distributor belt

My 92 C2 is approaching 50K miles and I wanted to mail my distributor off to have the belt replaced. The vent kit was installed about 2 years ago when the car had 33K miles on it. I would rather not risk having the belt fail on me, if it hasn't already.

How difficult is it to remove the distributor? I'd rather remove it myself if it's pretty simple.

I assume I mark the plug wires, if they're not already marked, and pull them off. How do I rotate the engine to TDC, and which direction do I rotate? Once I remove the plugs and have the engine at TDC, is it just a matter of removing bolts?

I would greatly appreciate any advice, especially if someone can provide detailed instructions. Thanks,

Drew
92 C2 Coupe
Old 07-03-2001, 07:46 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Drew:

This is pretty easy to do on the 964's.

You do not need to remove the plug wires from the caps, just unclip them and move them out of your way.

1) I would rotate the engine clockwise until the Z1 mark on the crank pulley lines up with the little mark at the bottom of the fan housing. You can confirm TDC at this point by ensuring that the main distributor rotor is pointing toward the #1 cylinder's upper plug.

After you have done this, note the direction that the rotor is pointing and mark this with a grease pencil or Sharpie. When you reinstall the distributor, you want to make sure that the main rotor is pointing at the same place.

2) Remove the nut and washer that secures the distributor in place. There is no adjustment for timing since is done in software and the above steps ensures reference position.

3) Voila', remove the distributor with a lifting and slight rotating motion. It might take a little tug to get it loose. The rotating motion allows the helical cut gear to clear the crank gear that drives it.

4) Cover the hole with a very clean rag that has no foreign material stuck to it.

Done!
Old 07-07-2001, 11:55 AM
Mark C-2 Targa
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve,
My belt is not broken but I have 80k on the car and want to change the belt. What's drew talking about sending it off? Is changing the belt that hard? I have the manual and it doesn't have much on changing that belt. Thanks, Mark
Old 07-08-2001, 04:53 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to butt in, but it doesn't look like it's a picnic. The following site has the details:
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~dat...ibutorbelt.htm

Steve:

Considering how old our cars are, what's your advice on a precautionary "swap out" or rebuild of the units? How much does age and mileage play in this?

Thanks,

Bill Wagner
Old 07-11-2001, 03:41 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Arrow

FYI, I am about to attempt this procedure, belts are readily available thru Vertex, $29. I will report back on the "difficulty level" after finished...and car still running!

A competent and local Porsche facility has offered to go in on the "attempt" w/me...so have no fear...we will conquer!
Old 07-11-2001, 08:30 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Bill - Mark:

I would advise at least a 50K mile distributor belt replacement interval as part of a good, thorough, proactive maintenance program.

Given what's at stake when this breaks and how it takes for the average person to recognize what has happened, this is something should be done BEFORE it lets go, not after.

I would NOT classify this as a normal DIY'er kind of project, but everyones' skills do vary and if someone is comfortable doing this, then go for it. This is a procedure that is relatively unforgiving of errors.
Old 07-12-2001, 03:42 PM
SSchulze
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Had my dist. belt replaced today. Mechanic says it wasn't a minute too soon (belt was shredding). My C2 is a '93 and it has 65,000 miles on it, no vent kit before today (Not standard before Aug. of 93).
No matter who I called, $250-320 seemed to be the range for labor. Pelican has the belt for $10.50ish and the vent kit for $13.00ish.
Mechanic explained to me at length about how the dist. was never really intended to be dissassembled, and it can be real hassle.

Just some FYI
Good Luck,
SSchulze

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Distributor belt