Sponsored by:

Copper in the oil filter AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005 | 07:31 PM
sundog
Race Director

Default Copper in the oil filter AGAIN!

Woe is me,

Knocking noise at around 80 MPH in 4th gear on my 91 C2 Tip. Opened up the oil filter, and copper bearing flakes all over. I knew to do this because this happened 2 years ago. The engine was rebuilt, and crank replaced back then.

I bought the car used with about 118K miles, with < 5000 on a fresh engine rebuild, thought I was getting a bargain! 20K miles later the noise started. Spun rod bearing, crank bent, lots of $$$. Now with 162K on car engine seems to have spun another bearing.

Overall car is in good shape, but now looking at $7-10 K for a replacement engine, as this one clearly has a major problem.

Looking for all recommendations, as the resale value just took a major dive!

Thanks
Old 07-18-2005 | 07:46 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

i've read these cranks can bend somewhat easily (easily being relative). Was it checked for straightness?
Old 07-18-2005 | 07:53 PM
sundog
Race Director

Yes, the crank that was put in was checked for straightness. The one that we replaced was only 5 thousandths off, but we wanted to be safe.
Old 07-18-2005 | 08:57 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

dang. I'd also be seriously considering a diff engine at this point also. 993tt engine sounds good

Please let us know if you find out for sure what happened. So many things can go wrong in there.

Good luck
Old 07-18-2005 | 11:42 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Geez, two spun bearings in less than 50K miles - in street driving? Do ya' have a plugged oil passage that is causing oil to not soak the bearing surface properly? I would be interested to know if the same bearing failed twice. That would be my assumption, unless you're saving money by using half oil - half water mixture, then that's a different story...

I might worry that all the bearing shavings would cause other things to wear extensively... otherwise you could fix things for much less than $7000... new bearings, resurfaced crank, cleaned out case oil passages, and new gaskets + your time - maybe $1000? That's what I would do if I was in your situation - a new engine is definitely not a budgeted item!
Old 07-19-2005 | 01:40 AM
sundog
Race Director

When I bought the car 5 years ago, the seller said that it had "an insurance rebuild", and showed me the $20K receipts, sugar in the gas tank or some such. I thought a bargain at the time!

I'll bet that one of the oil passages is partially blocked in the case. Looks like I've got a project for the summer. Naturally it got paid off last month! Oh well, I could have a boat or an airplane to throw money as.
Old 07-19-2005 | 07:39 PM
sundog
Race Director

Los Gatos, San Jose, just over the hill from you!
Old 07-19-2005 | 07:43 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

More than likely, there was a tollerance out of spec. A blocked or partially blocked oil passage would have cause immediate problems and the engine would've died way before fifty K had been put on it. Another concideration might be that the oil cooling system was not thoroughly flushed prior to the last rebuild. Previous contamination in the oil system causes premature wear of the bearing surfaces. Also if the particles of contaminants are large enough they can cause blockage issues, although I do not feel that this was the cause. Most likely the culprit was fine debris or a tolerance issue dure the rebuild process.

As far as the sugar disaster....that would have only effected the fuel system not the oiling system....they are two completely seperate systems. Unless, sugar was dumped into the oil tank, however most sugar vandalism occures in the fuel tank, due to ease of accessability.

Duncan
Old 08-08-2005 | 09:27 PM
sundog
Race Director

I just found the original rebuild paperwork for my 964. Rebuild by original owner at 124K miles. Replaced, crank, oil pump, pistons & cylinders, rocker arms. Still charged $1800 for machine shop charges, what's left but the cams?

I really wish I had known about this forum 5 years ago!

Just got my engine stand, will begin the 3rd rebuild of my baby this weekend!

Old 08-09-2005 | 03:13 AM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

From: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State

Poor Sundog

May I suggest you contact Alan at The Stable (stable356@earthlink.net) and make a coffee break appointment with him. Although he frequents the 356 net he is very knowledgable on 911/964 issues. He is somewhere in the SF/San Jose area. I've talked to him and had him do a ppi on my 964 a couple of years ago. A real neat guy. He may have some good ideas and a strategy to avoid future problems.
Old 08-21-2005 | 12:20 AM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Good luck with the rebuild. Take some pics to share and keep us informed.

Duncan

Quick Reply: Copper in the oil filter AGAIN!