Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Rear Brake Upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 05:52 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went up to the grocery store and purchased the standard green stuff in a gallon refill size. I have read that the Simple Green is a hot disputed topic on the Pelican fourms. It seems it is a bit strong and some claim it can attack alluminum. Others say if rinsed off quickly it does not hurt anything. I said what the heck it's the bottom of the car and tried it. I have tried many products cleaning undersides of cars trying to find the best product to get the factory sprayed on cosmoline off. That cosmoline is sprayed on to protect the metal and alloy parts from the road salt and bad weather. The problem is it gets covered in grime and makes the under side of the car look like a mess. I used to use liquid Gunk, but it is not available in the state of CA.
Since I live in sunny CA and the car is mostly a weekend fun car it rairly sees any type of foul weather so cleaning off that messy cosmoline will have no adverse effects other than a nice shine. The nice thing is it really kept the hardware all nice and protected for all these years.
After it is all cleaned I spray the hardware with a metal protectant made by Amzoil called MP for metal protectant. This is the most amaizing product ever made by man. I use it on my bicycles and anything painted or metal. It is my little secret and please keep it to Renners only!
Old 07-12-2005, 06:03 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 462 Posts

holy cow that is clean!!! I think you and Robert Linton have been keeping this a secret for too long!!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 06:35 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, seriously now, you've got to stop posting these pics, my level of shame just keeps rising exponentially, I thought I'd done pretty serious cleaning the other week when I took my wheels off to clean the years of accumulated brake dust from the inside of 'em...and now I see this. I always thought Robert Linton's car was just a one-off, test bed, holy-cow-look-what-all-these-new-parts-look-like kinda thing, so it was a special case. But now I see yours... Sheesh.
Oh, and thanks for the info about the brakes. My '90 still has the tiny little rears. It stops pretty well, though... But something to keep in mind for next time.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:54 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

"Amzoil called MP for metal protectant"

Do you happen to know if this is similar to CorrosionX? (I happen to be UK distributor for CorrosionX)
Old 07-12-2005, 11:48 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sweet job. How long did it actually take to scrub that stuff off? And do you have any knuckles left?

Are the 944/968 calipers from the front of the 944/968 or the rear? Are there any adapters neccesary or is it a straight bolt-on? Where did you get the 55 bar valve? Did it come off the 944 as well?

Duncan
Old 07-13-2005, 01:31 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if the Amzoil spray is related to CorrosionX I love the stuff and buy it by the case.

Took longer to clean the grime off than do the brake and shock install. A couple weekends working all day. I used a lot of kitchen brushes and it cleaned up fairly easily.

The calipers are rear 944 turbo or 968 units and bolt right on no adaptors needed. The porportioning valve is OEM picked it up from Pelican for 80 bucks. I did the whole job all at once since I had it all apart doing the shocks.

Warning this rear caliper lower bolt does require a special tool and it was REALLY! tight....

Quick Reply: 964 Rear Brake Upgrade...