Sponsored by:

Wheel ID

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 12:35 PM
Jasko
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel ID

Thanks for the warm welcome for my first post. Get ready for alot of naive and novice level questions. Don't worry, I do know that the engine is in the rear...

Can anyone tell me if these wheels are OEM or aftermarket? Apparently they came original off a 92 C2. Fronts are 7.5Jx17 H2 ET 52, rears are 9Jx17 H2 ET 47. Made in Italy. I have included a picture of the markings on outside and inside of the rims, but I don't see any of the parts numbers that are listed in Adrian's book. There are a few other numbers on inside of wheel, but these don't make sense.

Also, can I fit these on a 89 C4? I trialed them in the garage, but have not driven them as I only had two with me. They seemed to have clearance, but definitely were bigger than the D90 6x16 and 8x16 on there to begin with. From prior posts, I was thinking that I would need a 5-10mm spacer for front, but does this mean that I have to get longer lug bolts as well?

Of course the other issue is will they fit after I lower her...

Thanks,
Dave
89 C4 - lovin' it!
Old 07-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,

From the logo shown in the middle picture it looks like they are Mille Miglia wheels. They are replica wheels but of good quality. They may not be as light as Porsche originals but they are certainly OK.

The offsets look OK - you may need a 5 or 7mm shim for the fronts to avoid any contact with the chassis on extreme steering lock. You will not need longer studs with 5mm or 7mm shims.

Lowering the car will have no more effect with the 17" wheels than it would with the 16" wheels. Because the bigger wheels use lower profile tyres the overall diameter is virtually the same - indeed, it NEEDS to be virtually the same for the PDAS/ABS system to work correctly.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Dave
Old 07-10-2005, 02:06 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

A quick way to spot 'non-original' 17" cups - the edges of the bolt holes almost touch the centre caps on all the replicas I have ever seen. On the originals, there is a distinct gap.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Jasko
Racer

Thanks guys. That helps alot. I would love to get OEM wheels, but these are being offered for a great price (I think). Now to make sure that they are round and balanced.

Other than weight difference, is there any performance difference between the Mille Miglia wheel and OEM in a track situation?

John, I am actually a Rennlist member (050615-6219) , but I am appearing as "New User". Does this change automatically, or do I need to change my profile? I tried to find a screen to do this, but could not find one.

Thanks,
Dave
89 C4
Old 07-10-2005, 06:11 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Send Jenn a email. Usually takes a while to get it updated!
Old 07-10-2005, 06:18 PM
Jasko
Racer

I just looked at the Tire Rack site. Mille Miglia Cups are selling for $209F, $239R each out of the box. All of the sudden, the deal is not so sweet...

Thanks for your help guys.

Dave
89 C4
Old 07-10-2005, 06:31 PM
IanR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other way of identifying genuine Porsche wheels is that they have the width (in inches) and offset (in mm) embossed either side of the valve stem.

Quick Reply: Wheel ID