Sponsored by:

Instrument lights/strange wire question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 01:22 AM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Post Instrument lights/strange wire question

After plugging in the CHeck engine light I thought I would poke around behind some of the other instruments to see what else maybe wasn't working. In the clock cluster on my 90' C4 there are (3) lights that do not light up. One says CAT, the second is a picture of a steering wheel, and the third looks like a picture of a microphone or something. I'm pretty sure these are not used on my vehicle as my 90' owners manual does not show them nor mention anything about any of these. Is this safe to assume? The weird thing is that 2 of the 3 have actual light bulbs in them that work. I swapped them around to check them.

Another question is behind the clock were three wires that were just sitting there. There are NO locations on the clock they could go to. Wondering what they are. There are (2) purple wires that come together in a little 2 prong plastic connector. The third wire is red with yellow stripe. They come out of a harness behind the guage next to the clock and are of the proper length to connect to the clock, but, again there is No location on the clock for them. I've scanned the wiring diagrams and could not find these wires anywhere. Any ideas??

Thanks again!

John
Old 01-10-2002, 04:26 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear John.
The CAT is for Catalytic Converter monitoring which is not used on the majority of 964s (not required by law) but some countries do require this. You will find an empty relay slot in the central electric for this function.
The Steering Wheel I honestly have no idea.
The microphone looking one I am sure is for the built in carphone system option.
The wires hanging out of the rear. Again no idea. That is tough to find out.
Please remember not to disconnect the clock with power on if you have airbags installed.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 01-10-2002, 04:40 AM
Herbie
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess "microphone" light can be confused with the "tiptronic" light, that is an icon of the tip arm; it seems a microphone with a square base.
Old 01-10-2002, 07:51 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is instrument/dial removal straighforward or are special tools etc required. Are the clock.tacho/speedo etc push fit into dash or are there hidden screws/fixing etc.?

I want to investigate my non-working 'gong' on a RHD Uk car.

Cheers
Old 01-10-2002, 08:18 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear John,
Instruments are not held in by screws or clamps. However they can be fiddly to deal with and some dexterity is needed. Steering wheel can get in the way as well. This is a job you really learn by doing. The only tip I can give you is to get one hand up the back of the dash, feel around and make sure no wiring is getting tangled up as you remove the instrument from the front. I always try and give the instruments a helping hand.
I have to defer on the Clock to what Herbie says. I thought all the TIP warns were in the same instrument. I know the phone system had an offline warn. However Herbie has a TIP so if this is the TIP warn then that is what it is,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 01-10-2002, 01:13 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

I think Herbie is right about the microphone looking thing. Mine is not TIP. Again, I don't think any of these lights are suppose to light up as the manual specifically does not show them. I'm wondering why the heck the factory would put lights in them and not the blanking plates. I can't figure for the life of me what those wires go to. I tried stretching them around to see where else they could reach to. I had an idea though. My car does NOT have the headlight washing system. Could they be for some switch that would have been in the dash for such a system? Where would said switch have been located?

John, The instruments just sort of press in place with a big rubber gasket around them. If noone has ever taken them out they get kind of nasty and are a bit troublesome to get out, but, should not be a problem with a little persuassion.

Thanks again

John
Old 01-10-2002, 03:34 PM
Dennis_L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 90 C2 Targa

I have had my "Airbag" light come on my dash for months now. I have had my Porsche shop look at it on my last service and they reset it. Not more than 2 days after that it came back on. It goes off and stays off once I push the ! button. Does any one have any ideas as to what the problem could be? [img]null[/img]
Old 01-10-2002, 06:32 PM
Herbie
Instructor

slant911

I don't remember exactly the wires colour, but between the clock and the tachometer I've a switch for the "intensive windshield cleaning" that is an optional; might yor wires be for that subsystem that your car is missing ?

Just an hypotesis
Old 01-10-2002, 06:38 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Yes Herbie. As I've eluded to above. Maybe the headlight washing or "intensive cleaning" thingy. Probably for one of the two systems. I'm going to look again at the wire diagrams tonight and see what I can find.
Old 01-10-2002, 06:39 PM
Herbie
Instructor

I was forgetting...

The headlight washing, in my user manual, is activated with the wiper arm.
Old 01-10-2002, 07:31 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's another thought.

I'm assuming that you do not have a cabriolet. The cabriolets have a warning light in the clock for when the top isn't latched securely. Maybe one of the wires would have gone to the cab warning light?

-- Melissa

PS I would need to double-check my car, but I believe the intensive windshield washing switch is on the dash board -- a toggle switch by one of the gauges.
Old 01-10-2002, 07:47 PM
964Cab
Instructor

I took my clock out of the dash but left it connected. I have both the seatbelt as well as the airbag lights always lite thanks to my error when trying to fiddle with the "central informer" while the power was on. However, I looked at the connections to the clock and found no wires just hanging disconnected so I think slant that something is amiss with your wiring. Does the prior owner know anything that could help you ?

Patrick
Old 01-10-2002, 08:14 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Melissa - mine is a cab so no not to that indicator which works fine on my car.

Patrick - pardon my french, but, the PO is an idiot and could not/would not help. When you took the clock out did you see any wires that were purple (2 together that have a connector on it) and (1) red wire with yellow stripe. All these wires exit a loom that is directly behind the guage next door to the clock.

John
Old 01-10-2002, 09:28 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

John,

Ah yes, I think you'd mentioned that you had a cab in a prior post. Sorry for the oversight. Keep us posted on what you find!

-- Melissa
Old 01-11-2002, 01:51 AM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Well I've got a damn headache (man is the writing small on those wiring diagrams), but, I found the wires in question. They are indeed for the intensive cleaning switch which my car does not have. Question solved.

Still can not figure out what the steering wheel lamp is on the clock though. It shows for that light location "not used" on the wire diags.

Quick Reply: Instrument lights/strange wire question