Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help (Smoke from exhaust during warm-up -- ?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:17 PM
reynwerkes
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very interesting that this discussion has come up.
I too started my 964 after sitting for about a month (I keep a trickle charger on it) and it blew out a ton of smoke.
The interesting thing is that prior to me letting it sit is that I added about a quart of oil thinking it was low because the gauge only went up about half way at most.
Prior to this when the car sat for awhile it might smoke just a little but not much.
Seems as though like a previous poster pointed out, keep the oil level at horizontal and everything is good.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:07 AM
kopo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Supercarrera,

My first Porsche was a brand new 2001 Boxster S. It too smoked every once and a while on first start up. The first time I noticed it the car only had a few hundred miles on it. Dealer told me it was normal. Didn’t do it all the time but when it did it was quite embarrassing. Huge puff of white smoke. I had the car for 5 years and 50k miles. Never had a problem with the engine at all.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:22 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reynwerkes
Very interesting that this discussion has come up.
I too started my 964 after sitting for about a month (I keep a trickle charger on it) and it blew out a ton of smoke.
The interesting thing is that prior to me letting it sit is that I added about a quart of oil thinking it was low because the gauge only went up about half way at most.
Prior to this when the car sat for awhile it might smoke just a little but not much.
Seems as though like a previous poster pointed out, keep the oil level at horizontal and everything is good.
You have to much oil in it now .
If you gauge was showing at 1/2 and you added a quart , you now need to drain a quart out .
Old 06-14-2010, 02:26 AM
reynwerkes
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
You have to much oil in it now .
If you gauge was showing at 1/2 and you added a quart , you now need to drain a quart out .
Yup, figured that out from this thread...
Funny how my 82 SC never had this problem. It would smoke on start up but just barely.
Old 09-02-2023, 01:50 PM
nabfa1
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As the oil levels settles during storage between the crank case & oil tank based on gravity , car level , the cosmos ; Is this why ( based on
Adrian Streathe Adrian Streathe
book recommendation )storing the car with a lower ( 1–>2 Quarts ) quantity of oil may lead to less smoking as the engine is not bathed in oil that needs to burn off after long storage (6+ months ) ? A question for learning purposes

F.

Quick Reply: Need help (Smoke from exhaust during warm-up -- ?)