Sponsored by:

engine/trans separation

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 02:16 AM
Von
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post engine/trans separation

I have finally dropped the motor (thanks Stephen for the coupler bolt tip - it worked) and am on to separating the  trans from the engine. I have removed both starter nuts and both trans nuts and I can pulled off about 1cm but is stuck at that point. It seems to be hung at the bottom of the trans. Do I need to depress the clutch fork or should
Old 01-04-2002, 02:21 AM
Von
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accidental post above... Is there anything beyond the bolts that hold the trans to the engine - or is it supposed to simply slide off?
Von
Old 01-04-2002, 02:31 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Von,
Ok almost there now. You have the 4 nuts removed on the tranny, right? Look on the right side of the tranny toward the top. You will see a 6mm, 10mm head size bolt holding a little bracket in place. It curves into the opening of the bellhousing. Remove this. Now look at where the bracket went inside the tranny, there is a little black cap that it was resting on. Gently pry, remove this. It is a grease cap. Once that is removed you should see a dowel with a hole in the center. This dowel holds the release fork in place and is binding the tranny up when you try to pull it off. You can use a long 6mm bolt to screw into the dowel then pull it out. You will see the release fork come free and the dowel will come completely out. Don't worry about trying to pull the fork out, just get the dowel out of there. Now pull that tranny off and have at it
Stephen

Quick Reply: engine/trans separation