Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Australian or Canadian 964'ers please help !

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry Geoff, but I'm not sure I can answer either of your questions with any certainty. The bracket was already there when I bought the car so I assume it was installed by Porsche Canada before the car was sold.

I know with our Honda CR-V, the mounting holes were already there and we just went to the dealer and they gave us the tether kit with bolts and bracket free (IIRC, it is federal law they can't charge for these parts as it is part of the safety system, like seat belts). You could try calling a dealer and see if they can send you the bits. Yes, bolts came with the tether kit for our Honda (special Grade 8 ones, IIRC).

Along the same line, I'm not sure that you'd have to install the bracket to pass safety inspection as our Honday CR-V, sold new in 2003, had the mounting hole but no bracket installed - your car is the same as that, it seems to me. Might want to check before hacking out too much soundproofing!

Marc
Old 07-05-2005, 09:13 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc,
Thanks for that. I had an interesting conversation the other day with a guy about what I thought I had to do and his view of what the reality could be!
I take on board contacting a dealer -good thought.Lets play the system.
See you at the next DE.
Geoff
Old 09-04-2005, 07:43 PM
pipster
Intermediate

I'm just about to go through this process in the next few weeks...

Unfortunately mines a cabriolet, so getting to the space where you holes are is impossible with the roof down...

the option I am going for on mine is to lock the seats down, so they cant be used...a much cheaper option, as its literally putting a bolt through the little bracket where the two red pull release mechanisms are...

;-)
Old 09-04-2005, 09:26 PM
williamreinecke
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

For the record, I got the Ford tethers listed on P-car.com. The bolts that came with the tethers did not work for me. But, strangely, the bolts that I ended up using were SAE (5/16 if I remember correctly), not metric. The Ford eyes are ok, but just ok, for my brand of car seat (Graco). It is working fine, and i frequently put both car seats in the back and I feel that my kids are safe.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:44 AM
morganb
Instructor

Tinwan

Try to take the car back as a personal import. There are many more requirements on a 15 YO rule cars vs. the personal import (at least for Victoria registration). I made the mistake of sending my 3.2 back under the 15 YO rule and essentially you need to have all items identical to the Aussie car of the time. For a personal import you only need the seat belts, child restraints and high level tail light.

Quick Reply: Australian or Canadian 964'ers please help !