Sponsored by:

C4 engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 02:04 AM
Von
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post C4 engine removal

I am in the process of removing my engine to replace the clutch (with a Centerforce). I have dropped the engine 10" and all connectors disconnected, but cannot get the trans to separate from the driveshaft tube beyond 1cm. I have loosened the 8mm allen coupler bolt but the coupler wont release from the splined transmission shaft. Pulling very hard on the motor rearward only stresses the driveshaft tube. Prying between the drivshaft tube and trans only gouges the aluminum transmission spacer. What is the trick to get it separated?
Von
Old 01-02-2002, 02:51 AM
Von
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I forgot to mention: the car is an 89'. The old clutch was dealer replaced at 52K miles by the prior owner and I do not believe the mechanic took the time to grease the splines. I went to Centerforce because the clutch only managed to log 14K miles. I am careful of the clutch but the previous owner may not have been - and who needs a rubber centered clutch anyway!
Von
Old 01-02-2002, 01:48 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Von,
There are two allens on the coupler. You must completely remove them from the coupler. The reason is there is a cutout in the shaft to secure the bolt if loose would not allow the coupler to come free. Also don't forget there are two more bolts on top of the tunnel accessed through the center console in the car. Simply remove the allens from the coupler and I bet that baby slides right off.
Stephen
89 C4 3.8
79 930TT
81 931

Quick Reply: C4 engine removal