Sponsored by:

windows stuck open

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2002, 05:14 PM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Post windows stuck open

Anybody have any ideas for a temporary fix to get my windows closed?

Used the car this evening and went to close the windows after parking and the passenger switch on the drivers side disintergrated in my hand. I can close the drivers side but the passengers side is open and won't close using the passengers side switch either - I suppose they are linked in series or something (?) Hope it doesn't rain tomorrow !

Is there a way of bridging the wiring to the switch to get the window up as a temporary fix until I get my hands on a new switch first thing next week?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Old 04-20-2002, 05:42 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Mike,

Just pull the good driver's side switch and swap it into the passenger position long enough to get your passenger window closed. The switches simply pull out of the door panel, with just a little encouragement.

Good luck!
Old 04-21-2002, 12:11 AM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Hi Randall,
Yes, good and obvious idea!
It was dark when I parked last night so I wasn't sure if the wiring was the same both sides. Checked in the workshop manual later and it looked like the switches were different side to side. Could be wrong but I'll check now in the daylight - let you know.
Thanks
Mark
Old 04-21-2002, 01:09 AM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Randall (or anyone)
The swap of window switches didn't do it unfortunately. I have a feeling the motor or relay must have burnt out. The switch has been sticking recently before it disintergrated and maybe its stuck in the up or down position and fried something.
Any ideas on how to check or how to get the window up!
Thanks, any help appreciated
Mark
Old 04-21-2002, 06:20 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Mark,

You didn't by chance pull the switch from the passenger side, and place it on the driver's side? For the passenger side window to work, both its driver and passenger side switches must be installed (and in one piece, I suppose ). So, my suggestion was to pull the good driver's side/driver's side window switch, and install it in the driver's side/passenger side switch position--while leaving the passenger side/passenger side switch installed--long enough to get the window raised.

Imagine you may already be aware that both switches must be installed, as you wrote in your original post "I suppose they are linked in series or something."

BTW, your problem can't be the fuse or relay, as both are common to all three switches.

If you still can't get the window to raise, see if you can get 12V to terminal #1 and ground terminal #2 of the driver's side/passenger side window switch plug. That should power the motor. I just don't know which way--up or down. Of course, reverse to #2 = 12V, #1 = ground to power the opposite direction. I think you need to be careful doing this, as the 12V may not be automatically tripped when the window is fully raised. That is, I'm not certain what mechanism trips the motor when the window hits the extreme limit of travel. For good measure, you might want to consider installing a fuse (comparable in rating to the normal window fuse) in the wire for your 12V power supply.

Here's hoping you get that window raised ....
Old 04-21-2002, 02:58 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Mark,

Don't why I didn't think of this last night, but--if you get to this point--a perfect 12V source is position #3 or #5 of the driver's side/driver's side switch plug, ignition on. Even better, this is the normal 12V, relayed and fused power supply for the windows. For your ground, you can use position #4 of either switch plug.
Old 04-21-2002, 03:32 PM
Herbie
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mark

STOP yourself from those "electric" ideas, if your motor is stuck they are all dangerous.

If you unmount your right tweeter, behind it there is a nut, this is the correct "emergency" mechanical tool to move the window up and down.

Simply do or undo that nut, as described in the user's manual, in the chapter about power windows.

To remove tweeter: rotate the plastic (it is like a screw) and undo three screws, then you'll gain access to the windows emergency mechanism.
Old 04-21-2002, 03:49 PM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Hi Randall,
Thanks for all the information and thought you've given this - all very helpful.
I finally figured out earlier on that I should swap the good drivers door switch into the broken one as the 2 switches for the passenger side windows must be wired together to complete the loop right?
Anyway it works all closed up now and my window still works. I've got a couple of new ones coming in next week from Pelican Parts - one spare as this seems to be a common problem with these things.
Anyway thanks again - big help.
Mark
Old 04-21-2002, 03:53 PM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Herbie,
Thanks for the info - actually thats just what I was looking for earlier on - some mechanical way to close the window. I couldn't find any mention of it in the owners manual though which seemed odd. I'm not too confident when it comes to electrics especially as the potential for disaster seems pretty high in these cars.
Good info for the next time this happens though.......
Thanks
Mark
Old 04-21-2002, 06:33 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Herbie:
<strong>Mark

STOP yourself from those "electric" ideas, if your motor is stuck they are all dangerous.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

A bit over-dramatic, Herbie. The fuse would blow, nothing worse. Yes, not the best way to go about things, but--like Mark--I could not find mention of a manual method to raise the window in my owner's manual. And, thus, my suggestion to use a fused power supply.

Actually, I first picked up my 993 owner's manual, which--strangely enough--does not mention the emergency method. If I had instead looked at my 964 owner's manual, I would have found the manual method Herbie has described. Apparently, Mark's owner's manual is also missing this information, similar to my 993 owner's manual.

Mark ... good to hear you got your window raised. Let it rain ....

Quick Reply: windows stuck open