Sponsored by:

Oil Level 1991964

Old 04-19-2002, 07:38 PM
alex964
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil Level 1991964

Dear All,

In addition to my previous post I too am confused by the 964 oil level meter. My cars gauge moves up from the rest position but settles on the very bottom of the red band something which I guess is not good. I will try to use the dipstick but have read that this is not a reliable source either....what should I do?
Old 04-19-2002, 07:40 PM
Steve Nugent
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a search of this forum will yield everything you need to know, and then some
Old 04-19-2002, 08:16 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Alex:

My owner's manual claims that the oil tank level is sufficient when the indicator is horizontal (provided the car is level and the oil is at operating temp). The manual also reads "If the oil guage reads at maximum when the ignition is switched on (engine off), there is a fault in the guage or the oil level sensor".

Since the oil level in a 911 is so important, I still am a proponent of checking the oil level with the dipstick. I like to rely on the actual, physical tank reading you get with the stick instead of relying on a tank sensor, guage and the related electronics. It takes some practice to read the dipstick correctly, but it can be done reliably.

Dipping a metal stick into a stationary tank full of oil will always tell you the correct level. Relying on electronics is not always 100% foolproof.

Good Luck,
Jay
90 964
Old 04-19-2002, 08:37 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Alex,

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it sounds like you may be under the impression the gauge reading means something when the car is moving--it does not. As a matter of fact, the needle will bury itself in the red when the engine is revved. Pulling this thread further, the gauge reading should follow engine speed inversely--engine speed increases, gauge reading decreases; engine speed decreases, gauge reading increases. This behavior is consistent with a properly operating gauge.

Best of luck with your new car!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Level 1991964