Groaning Steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 10:15 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Groaning Steering

I've just taken my 91C4 Cab out of winter storage and it has developed a curious and not good sounding groaning (kinda like a loud rubbing sound) from the rear of the engine compartment when the steering wheel is turned.

The steering itself still is easy - so the power assist seems to be there.

The noise seems to increase with revs.

The hydraulic fluid reservoir shows a fluid level just below the lower mark and there is a small puddle on the garage floor that looks like it comes from the passenger side just in front of the passenger footwell.

Any ideas?

Thanks as ever
Old 04-17-2002, 01:19 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Is the puddle by your passenger footwell power steering fluid?? IF so, sounds like a blown seal in your steering rack.

The groaning sound from the rear sounds like a low fluid level...but you say it is at a sufficient level...huh. I really wouldn't understand this if the puddle on the garage floor is ps fluid!

Possibly there's a bearing going south in the pump? That's just a guess, maybe check the belt, it's possible it's slipping...but I doubted...it's a notched belt and would have to be pretty torn up to slip...but then maybe if a bad bearing is causing too much resistance, some teeth are missing?

This doesn't add up...as you say you have good steering. Hmmmm, curious to hear back from you on anything else you've discovered.

Ha! After replying to your post...I noticed the "Creaky Steering" post...you might want to check there for more suggestions.

Quick Reply: Groaning Steering