964 Targa Chassis Stiffness?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 01:44 PM
WMRiceman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 964 Targa Chassis Stiffness?

Does the frame of my Targa suffer from the flex during hard driving I’m told the old Targas had? I’m doing Drivers Ed and Autocross with the car but I can’t tell if I’m having much flex but I don’t think I could really tell while driving. I see Performance Parts is offering a brace for the Targas that attaches from the two seatbelt bolts. Do you guys think this is a good modification or will this probably make no difference in the handling?
Old 06-10-2003, 07:26 PM
Roly Baldwin
Racer

I don't think the frame is affected much. The only points where the frame is solidly fixed are at the front clips and there are nice thick rubber seals all round that absorb the movement. There's enough transmitted to provide the creaking that most of us are familiar with, though.

I know from experience that it's quite easy to break bits (especially the hinges) of the magnesium frame off - it's fairly brittle. I can't see Porsche engineers making it a high stress part but then I'm not a materials engineer...

MTW
Old 06-10-2003, 07:59 PM
WMRiceman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Roly, Thanks for the reply, your car looks great. I was just wondering if there is much of any difference in the coupe and the targa as far as handling, the coupe being solid across the top. I'm wanting to get more into going to the track and auto crossing with the car. Mark
Old 06-10-2003, 10:28 PM
91C2wrencher
Racer

WMR, don't know about flex in a Targa, but I recently installed a front strut brace on C2 and could immediatly notice a difference. So for you I would suggest both a strut brace and a targa brace, perhaps the Brey-Crouse harness bar?
Old 06-11-2003, 12:37 AM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could always add a roll bar to the car. Aside from some extra stiffening up you will get additional safety, which can't hurt if you intend to track the car. I know that some people will say that a bolt in roll bar will not provide much increased stiffness but I will really feel a difference in my Cab with the bar that I put in.

Quick Reply: 964 Targa Chassis Stiffness?