Alignment after strut brace?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 01:21 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with everything you said, Jamie.

This is what made me so sceptical about the whole idea. However, having recently fitted one, I then conveniently forgot all about it (!) until I was struck by the improved front grip and reduced understeer. I first noticed it on a wet road and was surprised how much new grip I seemed to have found at the front end. Then I remembered...

I don't really see why it should have such a noticeable effect without a monoball-type link, but it does.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,
My 964 had one on it when I bought it so I can't really say what difference it does or doesn't make. I did, however put one onto my old 3.2 and to be honest I'm not sure I could really tell much difference. I suspect there were sufficient other worn parts to negate much positive benefit - who knows ?
That said my C2, even with the strut brace, Bilstein HDs and H&Rs, suitably lowered and set up by Neil Bainbridge (lost of neg camber front and rear), running sticky Supersport Race tyres (215/45 fronts and 245/40 X 17 rears) the tendancy on-track is still to understeer when pushing really hard. It takes some pretty agricultural lift off and boot it to get it to oversteer. The initial turn in seems ok, but it simply can't carry the pace on a tightening radius corner without wanting to push wide. I'm fairly convinced that the front would be suitably tightened up by stiffer roll bars and mono-*****. So for the time being my conclusion is that the strut brace is really only of use if you attend to the other areas of 'give' in the front set up as well.

Jamie
Old 06-24-2005, 08:37 PM
adwriter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would have been relatively easy for Porsche to fit strut braces to all 964s when new - which makes me wonder, why didn't they?

Could it be anything to do with the repercussions of a hard impact on one side of the car, perhaps enough to damage the body structure on the other side of the car if connected by a strut brace?

Chris
Old 06-24-2005, 08:48 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Racing Dynamic Bar and I have to jack up the front of the car and unload the struts in order to mount the bar. Seems to really stiffen up the nose not allowing the towers to flex in or out under load. I understand the braces actually do the most to help keep the towers from flexing outwards.

Quick Reply: Alignment after strut brace?