Sponsored by:

running hot hot hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 12:09 AM
drb007
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default running hot hot hot

Looking for some advice before digging into this one...
I took my car into have the ac checked at a shop I had no business bring my 964 to. They messed up the ac, and now my car is running hot. I can't think of what they would do to make this happen, and I am guessing that it is a fluke.
Here's what it does.
When I got the car a year ago, the PPI told me that the low speed (low temp?) fan on the oil cooler did not work, but that the high speed (hig temp?) did. Same for the ac condensor. So in town, I might get the temp needle at the 9 o'clock mark, but then the fan would kick in and bring the needle down the next lowest mark. After these bozos worked on my ac, the car now goes right up to the next highest mark after the 9 o'clock mark. (If this doesn't make sense I did have my wife snap a picture while driving today..don't know how to post it).
So basically, the temp needle sits at the mark below the red. I had to drive an hour and a half to get home, and it ran great, good oil pressure, not low on oil, never skipped a beat...just ran hot. I drove through town, and it did not get hotter.
I am confused because I would think that at 75 miles an hour, the air speed would negate the effect of a fan...do I have a bad thermostat or something?
I will read through Adrian's book tonight. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:10 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did that when the thermostat failed.

That would mean the hot oil never reaches the oil cooler.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:05 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd agree with John. You can easily prove the thermostat failure by running the car until the temp gauge reaches the 8 o'clock position and then put your hand on the right fender top just in front of the windshield. It should feel warm to the touch since the oil pipes running to the oil cooler sit just below that point. If you can't feel the heat your thermostat is toast.

The failure of the low speed fans is almost certainly because the ballast resistor in both cases has failed. It's not too expensive (although a bit of a PITA) to do.

Regards

Dave
Old 06-21-2005, 11:58 AM
drb007
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

So from what I gather, I need a new thermostat. It seems to be that I can just replaced the thermostat itself, rather than the entire housing (if I can get it apart). Any advice on where to get the parts?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may also want to check your relays! When I went to a local import shop they started pulling my fuses and relays... They did not put them all back in the correct places. When I started my car the ABS failure light came on... They put a relay in the wrong position. Take your fuse panel cover off and verify that they have everything in the correct place!

Quick Reply: running hot hot hot