Sponsored by:

Removing Tie Rods

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 10:49 AM
Doug Leavitt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Removing Tie Rods

Has anyone out there tried to remove their tie rods on thier own? I'm in the process of replacing the steering rack boots on my C4 and am having some trouble. I was able to get the drivers side tie rod off without much trouble but the passenger side is giving me fits. Anyone have any suggestions?

Doug
90 C4 Cab
Dublin, OH
Old 10-01-2002, 09:39 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Doug -
I don't have an answer, but I do have another question for fellow 'listers.
My car was recently in an accident and I am having the body shop replace the uppper and lower tie rod ends, ball joints, and the A-arms as a precaution/proactive maitenance project for my 12 year old car. Is there any other minor work I should have done while the front is apart?
Thanks
Old 10-01-2002, 11:54 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's see. Try this.

1. Before lifting the vehicle, unbolt drive shaft mounting on the wheel end, actuating the brake to keep the shaft from rotating.

2. Take off front wheel.

3. Open multi-plug socket at spring strut and take out connector. Unclip electrical wire from strut.

4. Separate brake line of spring strut from brake hose and remove brake caliper. Before performing this operation, press down pedal with pedal retainer unit to avoid brake fluid from flowing in from the reservoir.

5. Press tie rod ball joint out of steering arm using a suitable puller, e.g. Nexus 168-1. Start by undoing the inner lock nut at the tie rod adjuster, however. Turn tie rod and ball joint to the rear (as if it were rolling forward). Extend ball joint.

6. Remove brake cooling air duct from control arm.

7. Separate stabilizer mount at stabilizer bar and wheel carrier.

8. Undo wheel carrier (ball joint) and pull off with suitable puller, e.g. Nexus 169-1.

Note

To avoid damaging the rubber boot of the ball joint, coat rubber boot and puller in this area with some tire assembly lubricant. Insert puller from the front end.

9. Remove spring strut and wheel carrier. Undo spring strut/wheel carrier bolt joint (for camber adjustment) only when replacing those components.

Note

When removing the control arm, unbolt joint carrier/control arm union (caster adjuster) only when replacing control arm and/or joint carrier.

10. When removing the control arm, unbolt joint carrier/control arm union (caster adjuster) only when replacing control arm and/or joint carrier.

Yeah, this is from the Factory Workshop Manual
Old 10-02-2002, 05:16 PM
Doug Leavitt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joe,
Thanks for the information! Any idea where I can get this Nexus 168-1 tie rod puller?

Doug
Old 10-02-2002, 06:42 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the Dealership is your best bet. I know folks like Pelican and Performance have some items, but I don't believe they carry the full list.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Removing Tie Rods