Sponsored by:

Worried Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 08:44 AM
DarrylC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Worried Owner

I am a relatively new Porsche owner (92-C2) and I have what I hope is an easy question. Riding into work this morning (still dark out) I had someone riding too close to me in a Honda (I believe from the headlights)I downshifted and floored it and left the car far behind, when I accelerated, I could see a cloud of smoke in the headlights of the car following me. I have done this several times in the daylight and have never seen smoke coming from the back of the car. My car only has 62K miles on it and hardly burns any oil at all. The car had sat idle all weekend and I had only been on the road about 5 minutes. Am I worrying over nothing?
Old 09-30-2002, 09:20 AM
tom964
Advanced

Are you sure it was smoke and not water vapor from moisture accumulated in the exhaust?
Old 09-30-2002, 09:35 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Darryl,
This is not uncommon. When did you last check the oil. Such things are an indication of an oil overfill. If it is cold you will also blow smoke, which is as already suggested not really smoke.
Keep an eye on things but I do not think you have anything to worry about. Black or white smoke during the day billowing out behind you, then you worry.
Dry sumped engines and blowing smoke on start up, especially after sitting for a couple of days on most likely a non level surface, go hand in hand.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 09-30-2002, 09:58 AM
DarrylC
Intermediate

I put 1/2 a quart of oil in the car about 1 week ago and the oil meter reads 3/4 full (10 o'clock position on the meter).
Old 09-30-2002, 10:19 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is that 3/4 full when the car's fully warmed? Any reading prior to that would indicate overfill. The engine temperature gauge should should reach the first big tick (around 8 o'clock) when it's fully warmed.

If you do have 3/4 reading when warm, then you are right at the limit, i.e. perfect.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:21 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Darryl,
As I said do not worry too much about this. Every dry sumped engine has its own natural oil level. Just let it settle and use the dipstick as well to check the oil. A sticky oil level sender under reading can cause you to overfil the oil as well. Just enjoy the experience and get used to the odd bit of smoke. Now I do say odd bit of smoke especially after sitting around for a couple of days.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: Worried Owner