Sponsored by:

Possible New Quick Release Pin For Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 06:35 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts
Post Possible New Quick Release Pin For Brake Pads

Attached are pictures of a prototype application using a form of four ball military specification stainless steel pit pin as a quick release mechanism for brake pads. What do you think?

Old 12-19-2002, 10:13 PM
Rich W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice, Robert.

I think it would be good for the average owner/mechanic who does his own work, but I question the use on a true race car, since pulling four pins, replacing the brake pads, then reinserting all four pins would (IMHO) be somewhat time consuming.

If you could combine the release mechanism for all four pins into one device, and provide some sort of guide which will remove the guesswork in aligning each pin so it inserts properly, then I think you're onto something. Perhaps make a pivot point on the inner portion, affix a cage type device (which would be similar in appearance and function to the four pins) and affix a single release device centered in the outer portion.

Just my $0.02. BTW, I really enjoy the pictures you post of the work you've been doing, although it makes me really want to win the lottery!
Old 12-20-2002, 05:02 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Robert, nice idea...but I don't see how it's any faster/simpler than the quick release already utilized on all Porsche 4-piston calipers.

If that design was only intended for YOUR prototype calipers then I would categorize it as a good idea, although Rich's suggestions for improving the design were insightful.

The only issue I see is that with the high heat characteristics of brakes, especially when in a racing or DE situation. You see, I have used HUNDREDS of these type of ball-pins that you have pictured, yes, I was in the U.S. Navy. If the button starts to stick from overheating and you go to throw the pins back in, and don't realize that the ***** did NOT extend out...you now have a potential missile hazard that could cause damage to your car or other vehicles on the track.

...not to mention that the securing of your brake pads is now in jeopardy!

I know, although these pins are quite small, and come in various sizes...there's still the possibility of damage from one.

The pins you have pictured are quite slender, not a lot of material used in them, so the fact that there is an internal pin that moves fore and aft to allow the ***** to extend/retract tells me that they're going to be affected by heat, considerably...heck, they may not even RELEASE when the car pulls into the pits and gets a brake pad changeout!

So I guess my only issue is the reliability of the pins over time and SEVERAL heat cycles.

...so there's my "two cents".

...damned engineers, always gotta change something.

Quick Reply: Possible New Quick Release Pin For Brake Pads