Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden Kill Switches - A Good Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 10:03 AM
Marc '91 C2 Coupe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Hidden Kill Switches - A Good Idea?

As a brand new (and ecstatic) 964 owner, I'm wondering what people's experiences are with using hidden kill switches as an anti-theft device.

My local independent Porsche mechanic (who is quickly becoming a good friend) has recommended I install one ASAP, since high-end car theft is rampant here in Montreal (an ocean port with lots of container terminals, if you get my drift).

He says that he takes a couple of hours to locate exactly the right spot to splice it into the ingnition circuit, and that it is undetectable electronically. Total cost is quite reasonable (about $200), and it seems to me to be cheap added insurance. He has installed one on his own 911.

Is this a crazy idea?

Thanks,

Marc
Old 12-22-2001, 12:06 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A hidden kill switch might be a good idea where you are. Your mechanic must not think a kill switch in the usual place (at the battery) is a good idea. Catalogs offer such a switch that will supply just enough juice to keep your clock running and radio memory, but not enough to start the car. It's less than $20 US. Pro car thieves can probably eventually figure out where to go, how to get there, and what to do once there to get the car running, but that apparently takes more time than most are willing to risk.

Quick Reply: Hidden Kill Switches - A Good Idea?