I think my CCU fan is dying...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 09:31 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think my CCU fan is dying...

I was driving home today, and all of a sudden I had a whirring noise coming from what I thought was somewhere behind the gauges. I couldn't figure out what that might be and it continued intermittently until I was just a few feet from the garage, where it began to sound continuously. After stopping I traced the noise to this cylindrically shaped doohicky beneath the CCU (see picture: it's outlined in yellow). I was very worried and shut the car off, but the sound continued so I disconnected the battery and that shut it off, although not instantly, rather it was a gradual tapering off, I'm assuming as the fan spun down and stopped. I then restarted the car later after it had a chance to cool down, and I didn't hear the fan this time.
Now for the questions:
1. Is this the fan that runs in concert with the rear blower when the temperature in the blower tube reaches a certain temp?
2. Has anyone had this happen? It almost sounds like the bearings in the fan want to seize.
3. If it is the fan, is the fan a separate part or integral with the CCU? Is this one of those "ship it off to have someone rebuild the unit" jobs? I really, really hope not.
TIA
Brian
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2005, 09:42 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Its the fan that moves air over a sensor for inside tempature from what i have been told. It always runs for a few minutes after the car shuts off. It sucks in crap and gets clogged up. Do a search and you can find a thread not to long ago about the same deal. Mine seems to be starting to get noisier so gonna need to do a cleaning one of these days myself.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:57 AM
McJohn
Racer

Mine is starting to sound like a squeaking contest in a mice nest. Guess I'd better find that thread.

JH
Old 06-10-2005, 08:41 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a CCU fault code that says the sensor fan is seized. I don't hear any noise, and the AC works fine. I plan to track down the error code. Please post that thread if you find it.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:28 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok found it. It was on the 993 board. I dont know how to link to it but this is the Title of the thread "CCU fan squeak fixed." dated 5/25/05
Old 06-10-2005, 11:03 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Okay, here's the link:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...n+squeak+fixed

I'm definitely going to try to clean it myself. They are about $180 at Pelican. Yikes.
Brian
Old 06-10-2005, 02:04 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Easy to take it all to bits, just be careful. Battery disconnected, then removed the whole lot, using allen keys to put in the CCU holes, pull forward pop off the control *****, flip the front off using the tabs top and bottom of the front face, and remove fan from rear using small screwdriver, I say all this because you might as well clean the inside of the unit as well as fix the fan, I did and now it's all tickety boo.

kevin.

sorry no pics....
Old 06-10-2005, 04:18 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Well, I followed the instructions in the post on the 993 board (which are very similar to Kevin's above) and cleaned the fan. It looked fine, just a bit dirty from 15 years of duty, so I'm hoping it will be okay now. It seemed to easy to be true, about 1 hour start to finish. We'll see.
Brian

Quick Reply: I think my CCU fan is dying...