Sponsored by:

Failed Engine Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 05:56 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Failed Engine Mount?

How can you tell a C2 engine mount has failed? My mechanics told me my mounts have failed, but when i took them out, I can't see where it failed?

It looks like the mount is liquid filled, I can shake it and hear sloshing. But I don't see and torn rubber parts.

thanks,
anthony
Old 03-30-2003, 05:32 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dear Anthony,
I answered this question for you on another forum. However others maybe interested. Firstly there are no written specs in the workshop manual or service information manuals on what determines the serviceability of engine mounts. If you are told they are failed then I would ensure it is proven to you. I did ask you if your mechanic was a 944 person. It is easy to make statements like "the engine mounts have failed". Makes them money as well.
The obvious failure is to check if the rear engine mounts are leaking hydraulic fluid. This would indicate a failure for sure. The two rear mounts are filled with hydraulic fluid to absorb vertical vibrations. If you cannot find a leak then it is back to the mechanic to explain to you in detail the problem.
The front mount is made from rubber and is designed to aborb horizontal vibrations. Failure of this mount would be damaged or sheared rubber. Failures in rubber mounts are normally quite evident.
You also do not explain your problem either. What led you to take your 964 to the mechanic?
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 03-30-2003, 06:00 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Adrian,

When I had clutch work done the mechanic informed me the rear engine mounts failed. He's primarily 911, but I don't know if he works on 944.

He said that when the mount sags it has failed, or something to that effect. I asked him should it be changed out immediately, he said it's not really necessary.

Today, when I removed one of the rear mount myself, I can't see any failure. No fluid spill or anything. When shaken, I can hear fluid sloshing in the mount.

The mechanic has worked on my car several times. He seemed straight forward, and haven't suggested replacing anything that doesn't need replacing.

The shifter feels sloppy and the car engine/tranny seemed to bounce around when going over bumps. Otherwise, not vibrations really.

BTW. Thanks for the help so far. I like working on my car. You and the forums have given me much valuable information to help me work on my car.

---
anthony
Old 03-30-2003, 08:32 AM
Arnold
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are the engine mounts located?
Arnold 90C2
Old 03-30-2003, 12:21 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dear Arnold,
Two in the rear (you can see them from inside the engine bay) one at the front which can only be seen from underneath.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: Failed Engine Mount?