Sponsored by:

A/C Recharged... Antilock Light On

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A/C Recharged... Antilock Light On

I stopped by a local foreign car repair place today to have my A/C recharged. He said the level was low... evacuated the system and recharged it. He started the car and turned the A/C switch on... Nothing. The compressor did not kick on. He started tracing everything, fuses, relays, etc. He swapped the fan relays in the front fuse panel (R-4 & R14) to the rear to check the system. Still nothing. I was starting to get nervous because even though he always has Porsches and Mercedes and the occasional Lambo in his bays... They just didn't seem to know what the trouble was. With the car running they started pulling relays and fuses. That didn't seem like a smart idea to me... But then I'm not a licensed technician. At one point the tech unplugged a relay and the car stopped. I ran over and turned off the key.

They eventually bypassed something and the compressor kicked on. It could then be controlled by the switch on the dash. The tech explained that sometimes they stick and need to be energized a time or two and then they are fine. (Made a little sense at the time.) He wanted me to take it out on the road for a drive to check the A/C... I noticed that the ANTILOCK light was illuminated on the dash. He said I would probably need to turn the car off and then start it again. I tried that and it didn't work... I also heard a rapid clicking noise in the dash when I start the car that stopped after about 5 seconds. I told him that I was concerned about the dash light but that I would try a DME reset when I got home. He said that he would fix anything if he broke anything... But I'm not sure I want to take it back to this guy and have something else screwed up!

I am in the process of checking that they put the relays all back in the correct places. I have the fuse panel open and am looking at two in particular. There is no relay in spot R-34 (antilock system-electr. safety switch) but there is a relay in spot R-43 (Headlight cleaner). I have no headlight cleaners... Is it possible that they put the wrong relay in the wrong spot? (The relay is part# 928 615 124 01 in relay spot R-43) Can someone check their car and let me know? I don't want to swap them and blow something.

It ticks me off that they fouled up my car. It a very nice old man that runs the place but they did something that just isn't right!
Old 06-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick,

R34 is very definitely the ABS over voltage and supply relay. It doesn't surprise me the ABS is not working with no relay there. I'd guess they just did a dumb thing and popped the relay in the wrong slot.

Regards

Dave
Old 06-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Dave... Thanks... They did a dumb thing alright.. I just swapped it into the correct spot and all is well. I am resetting the DME again to clear out any codes and starting over... But the antilock light stays out now!

It's certainly the last time I go to that place!
Old 06-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Fred C
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick, we all make mistakes, I would give them another chance by dropping by and telling them that the relay was put in the wrong spot, that you discovered it and that all is well now. I say this because I note that in your original explanation, you note that the shop said to you that if they broke anything, they would assume responsibility...in my experience, shops like that are few and far between! I would be inclined to conclude that they made an honest mistake, perhaps got a little flustered by having you looking over their shoulder (you did turn off they ignition when they were pulling relays) ...sometimes, it's the second chance that develops a relationship and trust that is hard to find...just my 2 cents worth, glad you got your problems solved!

Cheers, Fred C.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Fred... Good point... I'll swing by there tomorrow and let them know. They were very nice people and went out of their way to let me wait for this instead of dropping it off and letting them have it the whole day. I was just a little ticked they screwed up... But you're right... they probably deserve a second chance.

I just hope that nothing was done to the system by them pulling out relays while the car was turned on. Is this an approved procedure?

On a different note... after changing the caps, rotors, 02 sensor and fuel filter... This thing runs great! Idle is more stable than it ever has been. Even with the LWF... when warm it no longer stalls. With the A/C on it willl sometimes stall when warm... and all the time when it's cold. I still have a slight hesitation when pegging the throttle too. I still don't know what is causing that.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:09 PM
mxbanker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick,
Did the reset get rid of the abs light?(hope so)
Old 06-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Mx... The problem was that the tech pulled my ABS relay and then put it back in the wrong position... A DME reset won't fix that... I had to swap them back. I'm just relieved that it wasn't a costly mistake that they made. I'm going to swing by there tomorrow to let them know what they did... And that I fixed it.

Quick Reply: A/C Recharged... Antilock Light On