Sponsored by:

rattling when cold

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 07:27 PM
vilhelm
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post rattling when cold

I've got a pretty severe rattling right after starting the car the first time of the day. The rattling goes away withing a minute or so.
It sounds like sheet metal vibrating but I wouldn't think this would go away as the car begins to warm up.

thanks
Old 04-08-2002, 12:29 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hard to tell from over the world wide web.

But you had mentioned that it sounds like sheet metal. When I first purchased my 964, one of the small bolts that holds the catalytic converter guard on was missing...this would cause the guard to vibrate against the cat and sounded terrible!

Once I got home, I looked into it and quickly found the culprit. I have also seen parts of the brackets that hold the same piece on break off from their welds to the catalytic, which would likely cause the same type of vibration/noise.

Do you think it's valve/rocker arm rattle?? Does it sound that mechanical?? Not to go overboard, but could it be a rod? Rod tends to only occur during startup, also if it is taking a while for the oil pressure to lubricate the valve train, it would be noisey until it gets oiled down via the spray bars.

I hope it's neither of these. Look into it and get back with us if you find out what it is.

Quick Reply: rattling when cold