Sponsored by:

Oil Newbie (again!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003 | 07:19 PM
Martin Hodgkiss
Advanced

Question Oil Newbie (again!)

Hi
Ive noticed a number of posts with conflicting reports on how to fill/read the Oil level on a 964.
Iam a Brand new owner (last Thursday!) and all I Need to know is, Is my OIl level OK??
When I get in the Car and turn the Ignition ALL the the dials twitch, except the oil LEVEL. It stays BELOW the RED.
When I start it up, It stays there. Oil Preasure moves up to about "3".
When it warms up (aout 20mins) the Oil level raises Just out the RED( or the top of it). Oil TEMP moves to about 8 Oclock.
AS i'm driving the car the oil presure will fluctuate up to 5. The Oil level will move as high as 1 oclock. When I stop, it moves back down to about 3 Oclock (or back into the RED).
Erratic is an Understatement! But does it sound about right to you guys???? Ive given up on that DAMN dipstick!!
The OIL light NEVER comes on after ignition.
Also when I run it cold every 10/15 seconds white smoke appears from the exhaust, but no smoke is visable when driving (I followed it once!)
Tick over seems quite noisy, and a little uneven (this may be normal, ive never heard another 964!!) It runs smooth as silk though.

Sorry for all the questions on my first posting.

Martin.

Slate Grey 1990 964 carrera 4
66'000 miles
air vent kit fitted FULL AFN service History.
Imported from Germany new, UK spec.
Old 06-02-2003 | 07:33 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Martin,

Welcome and congrats on the new car. I encourage you to use the search feature; it's a quick way to find an answer to most questions.

Regarding oil level readings, the manual has details on how to measure the oil level, and this topic has been discussed extensively on this board (hint: try a search). Basically, the car must be level, idling, and COMPLETELY warm. Otherwise it's very easy to overfill. Read the measurements on your dipstick and see if they correlate to what's on the interior oil level gauge. If they match up pretty well, you can generally rely on the gauge, although it's good to check the dipstick to verify the gauge is still accurate.

The oil level readings will drop whenever the car is moving because oil more oil is taken from the external oil tank. At idle, more oil will return to the tank. Variation on the gauge is completely normal. If the gauge remains pegged at full all the time, you definitely have too much oil.

The oil pressure readings, likewise, SHOULD vary with engine load. The harder the engine is running, the more oil pressure is required to properly lubricate the engine. At idle and warm, the reading should be between 1-2, around 5 at full throttle, etc.
Old 06-02-2003 | 07:40 PM
Martin Hodgkiss
Advanced

Thanks Drew,
I had read some of the posts about the Oil level, I just wondered if what I was describing sounded about right.
I just need to spend more time faffing with the car i supose till I get it right.

Thanks again
Old 06-02-2003 | 11:02 PM
Rich W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Martin,

A decent rule of thumb: when the oil temperature points at 9 o'clock, the oil level should point at 3 o'clock (e.g, the needles should be pointing at each other). This is idling, level ground, etc.

Congrats on the car!
Old 06-03-2003 | 06:12 PM
Martin Hodgkiss
Advanced

Thanks Rich,
Ill test the various Oil level assessing techniques the weekend!!
Old 06-03-2003 | 07:12 PM
Richard Talbot
Intermediate

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Martin Hodgkiss:
[QB]Hi Martin
Your description sounds much the same as my car 91 c2 which we've had for 5 weeks and its a fantastic car!
I'm still not 100% on how to read the dipstick, seem only to get oil on one side when checking and difficult to judge exactly where level is and gauge is the same as yours but oil pressure is ok, temp and oil light ok, been thinking of going to a dealer and ask them to show me how to check !
cheers
Richard

Quick Reply: Oil Newbie (again!)