Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

window regulator, how hard to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 01:09 AM
AndrewM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post window regulator, how hard to replace?

Looks like the left regulator has given up. How hard is this to replace? Is it pretty much self- explanatory once you remove the door panel? Thanks....
Drew
89 C4
86 930 (just finished front suspension rebuild)
Old 05-31-2003, 03:47 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Drew,

Wayne Dempsey's "101 Projects for Your Porsche 911" has a project that includes removing the window regulator. For a 74-89 911, as I recall. I plan on using this and a PET printout to replace mine--someday.

Has your window quit working altogether?

In my case, I was having a problem with the driver's side window not lowering (stuck all the way up) on an intermittent basis (say, once every 2 months). After driving a short while--or a few days later--it would decide to lower. The relays, switches and power all checked out okay. The last time the window acted up (August of last year), I used the manual handcrank to free it, and it hasn't stuck since. However, when the window is about 1/3 down, it now rattles when hitting bumps.

I purchased my new regulator from Sunset Porsche for $135, using the Excellence magazine cost + 15% discount (it's still sitting in its box, ready for installation). I doubt you'll find it cheaper than Sunset's price.

Too bad you don't live closer. We could have a regulator replacement party, knocking both out at the same time.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: window regulator, how hard to replace?