Sponsored by:

Need input/help on this...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 04:52 PM
sjamuofo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need input/help on this...

I am looking at purchasing a 90 C2 with 79K miles on it. I will be getting a PPI soon but first wanted to bring some general questions to the board about the recent repairs on the car.

This car was an auction purchase in the Seattle area and the seller has documentation for 8K worth of recent mechanical work which included a top end rebuild and a new OE clutch. Per the seller, the only known problem existing now is with the ignition spring which apparently sticks.

The car appears to be very clean overall and the seller said he had no problem with me having another mechanic do a PPI on it.

So...it seems the clutch issue was taken care of and I was just wondering if problems associated with the seal and oil leaking will be taken care of with the top end rebuild. The seller claims there is no leaking whatsoever but it doesn't have very many miles logged since the rebuild.

I have the # to the shop that did the work (B&H Motorsports in Kirkland, WA - anyone know of them???) and will probably give them a buzz soon but I wanted to check and see what everyone else here thinks.

I can't wait to get a 964 and was originally looking for a late 92-94 to avoid the issues related to the earlier years but they are hard years to find at the price I'm looking at (20-25K) and especially in my area. There are quite a few 90-91's in my area but this is the only one with recent mechanical work.

Please post any and all thoughts on this!!!

Thanks,

Steve
Old 05-28-2003, 04:39 AM
Taj
Racer

Hi Steve,

Seeing as noone else has I will. I have a 91 car, which has the engine with the later head design with gaskets. If I were you I would do the following:
Contact the garage to see what was done, hopefully you have had the Clutch, flywheel, and top end done, and they have modified the head to the later design. You can tell by asking if the fitted head gaskets as part of their work. If this has all been done then the car has had the two 964 issues sorted. I would then turn my attention to front wishbones(lower suspension arms), the Climate control system, Other electric systems, and corrosion around the front and rear screens, front and rear rotors/pads. If it all checks out then it sounds like a pretty good car.
Still budget for $2000 in your first year to be safe.
Taj
Old 05-28-2003, 03:15 PM
sjamuofo
2nd Gear

Talking

Thanks so much Taj I really appreciate your help and time! This is a very exciting yet scary time right now. I can't wait to get one yet I want to be very careful and make sure that it will be a good one!
Old 05-29-2003, 12:44 AM
shaker71
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know B&H Motorsports (Henry Luft) I take my wife's 1985 Carerra Cab there for service and had him do a PPI for a C-4 I was looking at in the early 90's. Henry is a great tech and honest wrench. He would have certainly done the modification on the heads. Henry is a one man show and a dedicated Porsche racer around the country. Call him up and he will give you the straight scoop!

Good Luck,

Bill
Kirkland, WA
Old 05-29-2003, 06:56 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sjamuofo,

Please take some time, and surf thru the Rennlist Topics from last year,
I think you will find what you look for, and you learn a lot about your car, even it's a new part in your life.

Have fun,

Arjan B.
964 C2C 1992 Black
Old 05-30-2003, 09:56 AM
Madridcab
Instructor

Anyone know the parts number of the "head gaskets"? My car had an extensive engine job done earlier in it´s life, but I do not know if the updated design was fitted, have the parts list though, so if I knew what to look for, I could find out.

Quick Reply: Need input/help on this...