Sponsored by:

Oil level ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 12:48 AM
Jay D
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil level ?

I've read most of the posts regarding oil level and am now convinced I'm either at maximum level or perhaps over.

Bought the car yesterday and after knowing a little about the oil level gauge I've been testing it today and notice that at idle it stays very close to the top if not at the top. The dipstick although difficult to read looks like it's at the maximum level but not over. Under acceleration the gauge goes down to the half way point but not much lower.

What's the prognosis? Too high? Is it dangerous? I'd like to drive the car this weekend but don't want to do damage.

Jay
Old 07-13-2002, 06:03 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jay,

Congatulations on buying the 964!

Assuming that you checked the oil with the engine warm, at idle and on level ground then you should be OK. The guage only works in this situation & will drop to the bottom/empty when driving along.

Enjoy the weekend driving!

Andy
Old 07-14-2002, 09:36 AM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jay

I believe that the best indication of oil level is to wait for the temp gauge to be horizontal. At this point the oil level gauge should be horizontal or just above. If it is very full, then it may read near to top.

I don't think it will do damage if a little overfilled, just might blow smoke a little. But Adrian is the guru who can confirm this.

If what you have described was at normal operating temp, then I would go out and enjoy the ride, and just monitor your gauges.

The manual only indicates that there is a problem if the gauge sits at maximum when the engine is off.

BTW - Congrats on a great purchase!
Old 07-15-2002, 05:26 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Jay, as others have stated, true oil level can only be measured at full warmup, and maybe a bit hotter than that.

I get a good reading after tooling around in traffic a bit, but never after a jaunt on the highway...the "brake ducts" work a bit too well for that.

Get the car good and warm, let idle for a minute or so and your oil level gauge, when ideal, should read just about 3 O'clock, maybe a little above. If the needle happily makes it's way to the "red zone", you're a little full.

That's the gauge method. If reading the dipstick, same thing, car nice and warm, still idling...pull dipstick, wipe off and re-insert...remove and get a reading of what should concur with the 3 O'clock position on your level gauge - which should be pretty much in between the two marks/holes on your dipstick.

Don't worry, if you're a little full...your 964 will gladly burn it off, or leak it out...if it's like mine.

You won't do any damage to the internals of your engine either, you'd have to be a few quarts too full for it to affect anything, at worst, you might experience a little poor performance...as the pistons "slosh" through the overfill.
Old 07-15-2002, 05:29 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Half way to three quarters is the best position at normal engine operating temp. At full top means you are well full and the oil may vent out. Each dry sumped engine has its own what we call "natural oil level". Every one is different. It will always vent out the oil it does not require. This is a quirk of the dry sumped engine. Also remember that no matter what the average person does you are always going to have 2 litres of oil stuck in the engine. This means you only need to add maximum of say 8 litres. Not 10.6,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: Oil level ?