Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know of a good source for touch up paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 05:43 PM
CraigyB

Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all, just got a second hand deck lid spoiler, as mine was cracked across the top. It does have a few small chip, so will need the paint.
I'm also looking for some kind of mild abrasive compund to polish the new spoiler up, any tips appreciated.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:09 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Heirsh
springer, do you have a part number for that grand prix white touch up paint?
911 095 932 20 908
Old 05-12-2005, 08:12 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Could you be more specific?

I'll assume my paint is 2 stage since 2 bottles came with the touch up kit. Sounds like most of you guys can fix single stage paint very well. Anybody got any tips on the 2 stage and how to get it to look good. So far, my touch up jobs have looked average, a lot like my other cars.
The brushes I use are for oil painting. I saw the post saying to use tooth pics and drop the paint in. The smallest brush I use is about that size, but unlike a tooth pic, you can spread and level the paint. I have two slightly fatter brushes in case I need to fix a big scratch. The largest touch up brush I use is still smaller than the in-bottle applicator.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:10 AM
McJohn
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing but true ... try Halfords. They all now have paint mixing machines, and will mix you a touch-up size bottle for £8:99, and those which I have tried have been extremely good.

To cut back the colour, try Autoglym colour restorer.

John H

PS Did you get the spoler on E-bay recently? I suspect I was bidding against you, and was ultimately put off by the vendor's "creative" use of the Queens English
Old 05-12-2005, 05:32 PM
CraigyB

Rennlist Member

Titter, yes, that was me. And I know what you mean.. You should have met the chap (I hope he doesn't read this !). Had a nice little shop tucked out of the way near Burtonwood services on the M62, and was converting an a 964 to turbo spec - flared wheel arches etc. I think he buys write offs etc, does them up and you know the rest. He certainly seemed to know what he was doing with the body work though, it was pretty impressive.
Definitely someone who is in the right job for him.. ie not an author.. and actually a jolly nice chap, had a good 10 minute chat and had a good look around the underneath of a 964 sans-engine, really useful to be able to visualise where things are after reading all the books etc.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:42 PM
McJohn
Racer

Craig,

As you will see from my avatar, my car has a Techart spoiler, and sadly no trace at all of any of the gubbins for the original electric spoilerator. I'm in two minds about leaving the bi-plane thing, or reverting to the electric version, hence why I was bidding. If you only needed part of the gubbins that you have bought, I might be interetsed in talking to you about the bits left over (in Queens English of course!)

John H
Old 05-12-2005, 05:58 PM
CraigyB

Rennlist Member

John,

Nice car you have there. It's great to see a Porsche in a decent colour compared to the 996/997s which although there is plenty of choice, most people only ever buy silver or black !
I did get the motor and mechanical bits with it but planned to keep hold on to them just in case - as they're pretty expensive from porsche. Let me know how you get on though if you find a deck lid I could be persuaded to accept an offer.

Good luck
Old 05-12-2005, 06:04 PM
McJohn
Racer

I did get the motor and mechanical bits with it but planned to keep hold on to them just in case - as they're pretty expensive from porsche. Let me know how you get on though if you find a deck lid I could be persuaded to accept an offer.
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

The colour is Tahoe blue, and at the risk of reverting to the original point of this thread Halfords mixed me a 50cc bottle of paint for it which is a surprisingly good match. Good enough to cover up a few chips and stuff as a temporary fix anyway. Surprisingly good shop these days is Halfords.

JH
Old 05-13-2005, 06:55 PM
CraigyB

Rennlist Member

Got myself some paint from the Porsche dealer, cost £10.
Started work on the new deck lid this evening, looks great so far.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know of a good source for touch up paint