Sponsored by:

christmas tree and surging problem solved

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default christmas tree and surging problem solved

I wanted to post this followup just in case someone else has a similar problem and might be able to use the info.

-Bad coil was replaced. (well both coils replaced, but 1 was known bad)

Car ran much better so thought everything was ok, but...

I had a problem develop where the car would lose power instantly and get it right back. Like a real quick stutter or surge. I also had christmas tree lights in the dash a couple of times and a couple other times a single warning light would go off but it would be wrong. One other strange problem was the cruise would suddenly accelerate a bit then catch itself and go back down to speed.

Well I checked the plug wires at night and I saw a small amount of leakage around a couple wires. Most assuredly marginal wires, but... the wires are very new.

I've been worried about the plugs that weren't being fired with the bad coil so I replaced them all (bottoms). Big improvement in idle smoothness (no more lope) and high rpm power. Also no more leakage through wires and no more christmass tree dash board or single warning lights. Also the surges have stopped and the cruise is perfect.

So my wires most likely need to be replaced, but they seem fine now that the plugs are in good shape. Just thought I'd toss this out there for anyone trying to sort strange problems.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:10 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Worn plugs need more voltage to fire. It makes perfect sense that lowering the voltage stops the insulation breakdown. There was probably damage if you saw any arcing, so I agree, new wires are in order. Cleaning the wires, and rubbing silicone dielectric grease on the sealing caps will extend the life quite a bit. I am still on my factory original wires and distributor caps at 53,000 miles. I did clean and polish all the HV components at 50,000 miles. Given the replacement cost, heavy maintenance appears to be in order. I will probably replace the rotors, caps, and wires next major service.

Glad your problem is resolved.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:22 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Heirsh,
Sometime in the late 90's the factory added thick 6" silicon sleeves to both ends of the plugwires possibly to help slowdown heat related breakdown of the wires and to reduce arcing at night? (I'm guessing and probably wrong ) If your wires seem okay now that you've replaced the plugs you might want to try just adding the sleeves (sorry I have no part number).

Quick Reply: christmas tree and surging problem solved