Sponsored by:

1992 Cabriolet Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 02:51 AM
America
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Post 1992 Cabriolet Question

Does anyone know of or have a 964 Cabriolet with a manual top? Reason I ask is my top is not working, again. This time it’s the metal casing that holds the gears. They ripped out of bolts. The electric top really is a pain in the *** and costing me $$$$$$. I would like to switch the top to a manual set up like the older 911s, is possible. Has anyone done this or is it possible? I live in the San Jose, CA area. Does anyone know of a person or shop that can do this? Or a shop that is familiar with Porsches. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2002, 07:33 AM
Young_Turk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My top also has a problem, however I use it manually. Just loosen the bolts in the center of the gear drive pivots. You will still need to operate the locks which I assume still work.

John
Old 12-08-2002, 03:08 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
MAK

Give Jeda Generations in San Jose a try, ask for Jack (408) 224-5552, he should know. I have spoken with him about new top installation this past year, he knows cabriolets.

`87 Cab
Manual top
Old 12-09-2002, 05:20 AM
Rob McConnell
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi Mark

I have the same problem, not to major to fix. I hear it has happened on a few 993 also.

Ok here are a couple of fixes.

1. Braze a nut to a strip of steel the rivet the steel to the body.

2.tap the existing holes in body and then get some threaded rod to fit the new hole. cut the threaded rod to the correct length and the drill out the centre and thread that to the size of the bolt used to secure the gears. This is the method i am using as i have lost 3 of my anchors.

These points seem to have been spot welded at the factory but are inacessable now.

If there are any other ideas i would like to hear them.

Regards
Rob 91 964 cab
Jersey,UK

Quick Reply: 1992 Cabriolet Question