Sponsored by:

964 Wide body conversions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Southampton76
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 Wide body conversions

I have decided to start researching doing a wide body conversion on my '90 964. The 964 needs some dings and paint sorted anyway, it needs a respray as the paint is faded from spending its life in southern California. So while I had the thing taken apart for a respray I figured a body overhaul would be a good idea.

The simple questions I have are, has anyone tried this, anyone got some advice, ideas on how good the add on steel wheel arches are. Anyone bought a kit?

I have an excellent bodyshop to do the work.

Advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Mark
Old 05-06-2005, 10:55 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it were me. I would get someone who has done many Porsche widebody conversions and check there work.

I would never let an independent shop touch my car. I could care less how good they are. My 2 cents. I feel our cars are a work of art and the person working on them should feel the same passion.

There are many options for widebody conversions. I have seen the process of widebody strosek kits (fiberglass) and the (steel) versions done here in Canada and I can say that this shop has done many conversions and they look absolutely amazing. For a proper job expect to pay upwords of $12-$15k
Old 05-06-2005, 02:34 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 469 Likes on 222 Posts

Southampton

The minimum you will need:- 2 X front fenders, 2 X rear fenders, 1 front bumper, 1 X rear bumper (3 parts) 1 X NS rocker panel and extension (Shark fin) 1 X OS rocker panel and extension, 4 X new fender liners , new front PU undertray 3 parts? new seals/gaskets, new wheels( unless you plan to use spacers on your existing wheels) add on paint and labour at OPC prices and it starts getting pricey. I seem to remember a guy on RLwith a Cab got rear ended last year and both rear fenders were beyond repair, he considered going the WB look but saw what extra costs were involved and stayed NB. Buy a turbo and save yourself a lot of grief and money IMHO Or buy one already converted( as long as you know the conversion was done professionally using steel/genuine Porsche parts)
Old 05-06-2005, 02:51 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will have more in the investment than you could ever expect to regain upon resale. As a matter of fact, it will be worth less, especially if there is any indication of the kits indicative imperfections. It might be in your best interest to sell your 964 now and buy one that someone else has alreadt mutilated. It would be cheaper and you would possibly allow your car to be passed on to someone who appreciates these cars for what they actually are. They were built in limited numbers and should be held in high reguard as such.

You can actually buy real wide bodies for around 30,000 dollars, so why screw up a pefectly good 20,000 dollar car for 10 to make it worth 12. Sell yours, take the 10 you were going to spend and buy a real one.

Quick Reply: 964 Wide body conversions